1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Computer hangs at HP Logo

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SharonKay, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Here is what happened. This is my sisters computer it is a HP Pavillion. Running Windows 98SE. Installed a new 56K Fax modem by U.S. Robotics. Installed without any problems. Connected to the Internet and went to windows update and downloaded IE6. When it finished downloading it said needed to restart I canceled restart so that I could close out of other programs and windows I had opened. went to start- shut down- restart and when it started to boot back up it hangs on the HP logo screen and does nothing else. I have tried booting from 98 boot disk but it does nothing. Tried tapping control key..delete key..F8 key and nothing. any suggestions on how to get pass this?

2. Krall

Krall

try taking the modem physically out of the machine and see if it starts up

3. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Took Modem out and still same results

4. Krall

Krall

can you get into the computers bios? when you turn the computer press the f2 key (I belive it's f2 Ihave an HP omnibook and it is F2 so yours should be also). If you can get in the Bios, reset it to factory defaults. save and exit then restart.

At least you know your modem is ok

5. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Reading on other sites I have hit esc. and and this comes up:
    PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0.6
    Copyright 1985-1998 Phoenix Technologies LTD.
    All Rights Reserved

CPU=Intel(R) Celeron(TM) processor 500MHz
    640k System RAM passed
    62M Extended RAM Passed
    0128K Cache SRAM Passed
    System BIOS shadowed
    Video BIOS shadowed
    UMB upper limit segment address: E95C
    mouse initialized
    Fixed Disk 0: ST317221A
    ATAPI CD-ROM: CD-DOM 50X L
    ATAPI Removable Drive: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy

Press<F1> to enter setup

pressing F1 does nothing

my sister reinstalled 98SE then we installed her new modem

6. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Hitting F2 does nothing still on HP Logo screen. To turn the computer off I have to hold the button in for a few secs and it shuts down upon starting it again I hit esc. and then F1 to enter Setup and it now says entering set up but it has been that way for the last 5 min. also wanted to let you know that when turning the computer on Keyboard lights flashes..CD-Rom light and floppy light flashes.. HD light is yellow stays on a few secs. then goes off and nothing responds.

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

I suggest that you open the unit back up and be sure everything cables, memory, etc. are connected tightly. You may have knocked something loose when you were installing the new modem. If you have a clear cmos jumper on the motherboard you may also want to try that or remove the cmos battery for an hour.

8. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Have checked all cables ,memory ,etc. all is snug and tight will try the battery.... I have noticed that I have two cables not going to anything one is from an audio riser card and the other end is not plugged in to anything and the 2nd one is from the power supply it has two black and 1 blue and one yellow wire it has P8 written on the end it also is not plugged into anything can this be the problem? although I don't think they were plugged in before I installed the new modem

9. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Took battery out and left out for 1 1/2 hrs and reseated all cables and anything else I can think of. Took hard Drive out of my daughters computer and tried it in the pavillion and the same thing happens. Traded floppy drives and cd roms and they all seem to work ok in daughters computer. I am out of ideas. I hope someone comes across this thread and finds a solution.

10. Krall

Krall

What is the exact model number of the pavillion? for instance is it an HP Pavillion 503w?

11. Krall

Krall

I have another idea if you havent tried it already. Disconnect all peripherals(keyboard, mouse, printer,ect..) leaving just the powercord ,monitor and keyboard hooked to the pc. See if turns on right. If not disconnect keyboard and try again. If so, connect one periphial at a time, turning on in between each, and when you start having problems again, you know the last thing you plugged in is the prob.

12. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

The pc is a HP Pavillion 6573Z

13. Krall

Krall

were you able to try my last suggestion?

14. SharonKay

SharonKay Thread Starter

Took the battery out last night I was pretty busy today and the battery had been out for a good 15 hrs. I put it back in and now the computer don't even turn on????? Is this normal

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check the power supply connection to the motherboard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice