{RESOLVED}Computer restarts on Windows shutdown !!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moemen

Operating system:
Microdoft Windows 98 SE

I have a version of Win98SE on my father's VAIO portable, it was working fine untill it - the computer - restarted after I chose Shutdown from start menu...

At first I thought I wasn't making the right choice at the shutdown screen but now I'm sure.

Any ideas??

Has the WinSE shutdown supplement been applied to that computer? It is designed to address such problems

WinSE Shutdown Supplement

Also check out the SE shutdown troubleshooter link on that page, if the problem is not resolved.

And a very extensive troubleshooter here:

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

Also, if the problem just began in the last few days, try pressing and holding the control key immediately on startup. This will bring up the Boot Menu. Select the "command prompt" option and at the c:\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a started registry before the problem began. Any settings changes or subsequent installs will need to be redone.

Moemen

They really ought to call you Mr. Nice Tech Support Guy

Thanx for your great, great help :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online