1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Computer won't boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Edwardo, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edwardo

Edwardo Thread Starter

I recently purchased a used computer for my kids for x-mas. They think i am fixing it for someone.
    It was working great, but all of a sudden it won't boot up. I have tried to boot from floppy but system doesn't make it that far.
    I managed to get it started by multiple hard restarts but when my screen lit up with the normal start-up info, instead of telling me that i had a 600 mhz celeron it told me that my cpu setup was incorrect, but it kept going and i missed the setup utility.
    After it completely booted to windows i did a restart so i could run the setup. It asked me for a current password. I have never set it up to require a password.
    Now the computer won't start and I cannot use the setup.
    It has an M754 motherboard with a 600 mhz intel celeron.
    Christmas is getting closer and I could use some ideas

2. B3gbie

B3gbie

If you've had the case off did you change any motherboard settings? Also, if the processors not seared correctly it'll not beep on startup and you'll get a blank screen. Is it powering up at all? If not check power supply. Sounds like a problem with processor or motherboard settings.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you hadn't been fooling with the BIOS settings and out of blue this started to happen, my guess is the battery on the motherboard is going or gone bad. At least that's the first and least expensive thing to try replacing. Be sure to take the battery to a competent computer store so you get the correct replacement battery.

The other thing that can cause all sorts of strange things like your experiencing is mismatched or bad RAM. And there's always the chance the RAM may not be firmly seated in the slots.

4. ratchet

ratchet

Find a friend with the same OS and make a start up disk, reinstall windows or take the pos back.
    Rember the "customer is always right" you just have to remind
    them.

5. Edwardo

Edwardo Thread Starter

Many thanks to everyones sugestions. I didn't expect the assistance to come so quickly. (only about 25 minutes). I changed the battery and that didn't seem to help so i replaced the two 64mb ram chips with two new 128mb chips and presto. It automaticly loaded the default cmos setup and everything is as good as new. It now boots and runs like a million bucks. Which is great considering the entire outlay for parts was about $75.

Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice