1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Confrentations on my PC {trojans & spyware}

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Psycosis, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

When i press CTRL, ALT and DELETE together, and the Close Program Dialog box appears, i have 13 programs/things running on it. Some of which are causing my PC to crash and are stopping some games, aswell as other programs from working, i know this because when i "END" their "TASK", it works, but when i reboot/restart they re-appear. Does anyone know how i could take some of these off....... permanently, and is it safe to do so ?
    This is what's on there:
    • Explorer
    • LoadQM
    • Rundll32
    • Wkalrem
    • Systray
    • Ptsnoop
    • Rnaapp
    • Whagent
    • MsgPlus
    • Gbtask
    • Convsvr

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Psycosis
    Welcome to TSG!
    The programs you are referring to are starting with the startup group. Go to start/run type in msinfo32 click plus sign in front of software programs and then highlight startup group click edit then click select all then edit again and copy. Come back here and paste the copy so we can advise on which should be removed.
    Dave

3. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

Thanks.
    Well, i done what you said, but mine was a little different (shown in my attatched image).
    So i clicked the plus sign next to Software Enviroment, then clciked Startup Programs then copied the stuff that appeared in the right "frame".
    This is it:

EPSON Background Monitor Startup Group C:\ESM2\Stms.exe
    Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\MSWorks\Calendar\WKCALREM.EXE"
    Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    Adobe Gamma Loader.exe Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe" /C
    load Win.ini ptsnoop.exe
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    ICQ Plus Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQPLUS\vplus.exe
    Mirabilis ICQ Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\ICQ\NDetect.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    ati Registry (Machine Run)
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Gearbox Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Gearbox Connection Kit\bin\confsvr.exe"
    DXM6Patch_981116 Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    Trickler Registry (Machine Run) "c:\program files\gator.com\fsg\fsg.exe"
    Detect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\iNTERNET Turbo 2001\idetect.exe /auto
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    CC2KUI Registry (Machine Run)
    sp Registry (Machine Run) regedit -s C:\WINDOWS\sp.dll
    MessengerPlus Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MsgPlus.exe"
    webHancer Agent Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whAgent.exe"
    New.net Startup Registry (Machine Run) rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOT~1.DLL,NewDotNetStartup
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    TVWatch Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\SYSTEM\TVWatch.exe
    Detect Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\iNTERNET Turbo 2001\idetect.exe /auto
    Serv-U Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\SERV-U\ServUDaemon.exe
    HC Reminder Registry (Machine Service) hc.exe

:confused: LOL..... hope that is what you want

Attached Files:

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ok give me a about a half to throughly review your list and I will post back.
    Dave

5. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

Thanks mate.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

OK Psycosis
    You have several problems going on here. First off you have some serious Spyware installed that can give you all kinds of problems, and Second there are items in your startup group I do not reconize but may be associated with the spyware.
    Fist off here is a list of item you can safely uncheck from your startup group.

Uncheck the following.
    EPSON Background Monitor Startup Group C:\ESM2\Stms.exe
    Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\MSWorks\Calendar\WKCALREM.EXE"
    Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    Mirabilis ICQ Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\ICQ\NDetect.exe
    DXM6Patch_981116 Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    HC Reminder Registry (Machine Service) hc.exe

Now for the spyware
    Many of the items listed in the startup which I do not recognize may be associated with the spyware so we will leave them there for the time being.

Now uncheck these spyware items in the startup group.
    Trickler registry
    Sp registry
    WebHancer
    New.net

The process for removing items from start is
    Go to start/run type in MS config click start-up and then uncheck the boxes I have listed as not required and the Spyware stuff.

Click apply then ok and restart your system.

Now get back on the net and go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html and download the
    AdAware main program. Once you have the program downloaded
    unzipped and ready to go let me know and we will go to the next step of cleaning up the spyware mess. [/b]Do not run AdAware yet since there is some add/remove program stuff to do.[/b]
    Dave

Sounds daunting but we will do this one at a time.

7. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

OK, thanks, i'm gonna restart now. BRB.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

New.net and Webhancer should both be removed through add/remove programs before running ad-aware. I would do them one at a time and reboot after each removal. They are sometimes troublesome and a bad uninstall can leave you without internet connectivity. I would download this zip file and run it if you have problems reconnecting:

http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/binary/whndnfix.zip

After you download ad-aware and install it, also download the current reflist.exe. Unzip that and copy it to the ad-aware programs folder.

When you run ad-aware after removing new.net and webhancer, be sure to do a deep memory and registry scan and select all drives on which you have installed programs.

Check all the items for selection and click the "make backup" tab.

Be advised that Gator will no longer run after removing it's spyware component.

Reboot after finishing the ad-aware removal and run it again to ensure a completely clean scan.

I don't know whether it will spot and clean the sp.dll. Let us know and I will give more instructions regarding that.

Here is a general explanation of what it is, I will follow up with registry editing instructions later.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&[email protected]

9. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Psycosis
    I see that. The server must be temporarily down at lavasofts site.
    Also I see Rollin rog jumped and made some suggestions on what to do. He is one of our resident Virus and spyware Gurus.
    Read through what he suggests and do the parts that you can until Lavasoft comes back up.
    Dave

Also that CC2KUI is Comet Curser spyware and should also be unchecked in MSconfig

11. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

Thanks, both of you, I have done it all :)

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

Psycosis
    Good, you were able to add/remove the programs with no problem.
    Now while we are waiting for lavasoft to come back up why not go to this site and run a full virus scan on your system.
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    Let us know what it finds if anything.
    Dave

Edit: Do Rogs first he and I posted at the same time.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you found Comet Cursor in Add/Remove, you can remove it from there. Ad-aware, when it comes back up should remove any remnants.

In the mean time lets get rid of sp.dll

From start, run regedit

>> click in order:

+ Hkey_Local_Machine
    + Software
    + Microsoft
    + Windows
    + CurrentVersion

RUN or RUN- (if you have unchecked it in msconfig)

Look for the reference to sp.dll in the right hand pane and right click on it and delete it.

Reboot and do a find Files Search for sp.dll (it should be in Windows). Delete it.

You may have to reset your search page options manually. You can also use the Registry Editor's Edit>Find function to search for references to jethomepage.com and change to what you want.

14. Psycosis

Psycosis Thread Starter

Okie dokie, is all done, running the virus scan now. Thanks. BTW, my dad says thankyou very much and your time is much appreciated.

15. Davey7549

Davey7549

Psycosis
    No problem thats what we are here for. I presume you followed Rog's proceedure in cleaning up. Also I see lavasoft is still down last time I checked. After you download ad-aware and install it, also download the current reflist.exe. Unzip that and copy it to the ad-aware programs folder.
    That will be very important to remove all that spyware stuff. You may be suprised at what it will find.
    Keep us posted.
    Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice