1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] connected but no web page

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by norton, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norton

norton Thread Starter

Ok where to start? My buddy was installing a wiresless network (D-link di-614+) The install on the desktop went fine. When installing on the laptop (that also has Novell on it) The install went well also and he connected to the new network fine. The next day when he put in the cardbus adapter and started the laptop it went through the new hardware found install again. He went through the install (again) . During the install it asked for C:netware win 95/98 disk 1 then disk 4 ect... He said he tried to click OK but did not work so he clicked cancel. He thinks the files it wanted were cab files. After the second install he can again connect to the network but when a web page comes up it can not be displayed. I checked Network props and it lists two adapters and to tcp/ip. One for each install. In the divice mgr it showes one card with no faults. I removed the adapter and reinstalled so now it showes just one but still the same prob. The card is connected to the network but can not display a web page either by WWW. ..... or an IP address. I can ping both to the card and to the router. Everything seems Ok but I think he might have a DHCP prob. The laptop has windows 98SE Any help would be great as it is his wife's laptop and he already has a bad track record :mad:

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi norton

Go to Tools\internet options\connections\settings and make sure "use a proxy...." is not ticked

Also check LAN settings for same

steam

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can get to the router but can you get to the Internet.

Ping an external IP address. If this works you can connect to the Internet.

Ping an external web address - If this works, DNS is working

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

My reasoning behind that last post is that you don't know if it is a connection to the Internet or the web browser that is the problem. If you can ping outside, then it is something with IE. If you can't it is something with the network.

5. norton

norton Thread Starter

Thanks guy's. I did check the settings and they are right. I can ping to the internet with an IP address but not with a web address (www.....) it come back as unknown host :(

6. norton

norton Thread Starter

Bob, I think this might fix my prob. Can you please tell me what you think.
    1. Make sure you have your OS CD or the correct .CAB files available for the particular version of 98/98se/ME.

2. Remove ALL instances of TCP/IP from Network Properties. DO NOT reboot when prompted to do so.

3. Delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\AFVXD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCPOptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock2

4. Reboot.
    5. Reinstall TCP/IP.
    6. Reboot.

I also found this link with a program that will do the same thing
    http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

If this is what I need to do ... When I remove all tcp/ip from network, should i remove the novell tcp/ip also? or just the Dlink. Thanks again for all the help.

7. Del

Del

If it's the winsock2 key below is the way to restore it:
    Please note if you are going to do this you must have installation cd or cab files.
    1) Go to add and remove program
    2) Clink on the windows setup tab
    3) Take the check mark out of COMMUNICATION
    4) Click apply
    5) Wen asked to reboot say no.
    6) Click Start
    7) Click on Run
    8) Type regedit
    9) Follow the path HKEY LOCAL MACHINES
    10) System
    11) Current control set
    12) Services
    13) Winsock2
    14) Right click
    15) Select delete
    16) Go back to add remove programs
    17) Click on Windows setup
    18) Put check back in COMMUNICATIONS
    19) When asked to reboot say yes
    After rebooting, try to browse.
    It may ask for your Windows 98 C.D.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you think the networking is corrupted, I usually just recommend writing down the current configuration, then remove all the networking, reboot and reconfigure again.

Since you are never sure you will get them all, this will overwrite any corrupted files or registry entries again. Make sure you have access to all the source CAB file.

9. Del

Del

Whenever we get a connect, can't browse and you can ping an IP but not the URL, we do the winsock2 key fix in the Registry and works every time.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping by IP but not name, then your DNS is not working correctly.

At this point, it has nothing to do who how your browser is configured because you are not using it.

Double check that your wireless router has all the correct IP information there as well as the workstations. See if you can ping your DNS IP address.

Usually all you need to enter for the workstations is their individual IP address, the gateway IP (this is correct since you can ping by IP address, and the DNS Server IP address (use the actual one's for your ISP, not the router's IP address).

Try manually entering in all the IP settings on the computers and do not rely on DHCP. Then you know how they are really configured.

11. norton

norton Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all the help. I checked everything and found that in ip config it was using the wrong NIC. After I set it to the correct one and reset everything works fine. :D Again thanks!

12. Del

Del

glad you found the problem and let us know, have a great day.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice