1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}continual pinging

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kurt_w43, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kurt_w43

kurt_w43 Thread Starter

When I shutdown, i get asked to quit the Ping program, even though I never ran it. Also, when i do CtrlAltDelete to see active programs, i see Ping on the list about half the time - it comes and goes when I do repeated CtrlAltDelete. Computer also responds a little more sluggish than it used to.

Am I getting pinged? or is something in my machine auto pinging?

I recently changed my home network - I added a computer and changed from a Netgear hub to a Linksys router, and did do some pinging during that transition, but the network now works just fine, and i am doing no further pinging.

2. bradofcanada

bradofcanada

3. rhettman5

rhettman5

Have you got a internet connection program that pings servers to keep you on line ? If so you may try disabling it in msconfig and see if that solves the problem. Post back with results from Brad and my ideas so we know where your at...Rhett

4. kurt_w43

kurt_w43 Thread Starter

the adware web site doesnt respond.

i dont have any special internet connection software, what specific program should i be looking for in msconfig?

a new clue - computer's clock keeps lagging real time - loses over 30min per day - from resources being used i presume.

another clue - Macafee virus scan keeps stopping at
    ping.exe, net.exe, and conagent.exe.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Kurt
    It is still entirely possible you may have some spyware downloaded. The link to AdAware changed from .com to .org or .net. http://www.lavasoftusa.org/downloads.html
    make sure you download the main program and the ref file.
    Also the slowdown in the clock could be your cmos battery
    wearing down.
    Dave

6. kurt_w43

kurt_w43 Thread Starter

Problem has stopped, but I still dont know whole story. I upgraded my virus scan from McAfee 4.0 to McAfee 6.0, which includes an aggressive firewall. Since then all evidence of continual pinging has disappeared.

Theory, though not 100% proven, is that some site was pinging at me, rather than my machine initiating the pinging.

I also did a scan using the ad-aware software, it found some files that i deleted.

thanks for your help, guys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice