1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Control Panel {rundll32.exe missing}

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by antoniette, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antoniette

antoniette Thread Starter

Can someone help me with opening up stuff in my control panel. I tried to open up the add/remove programs icon and i cannot do anything. An error message comes up that says , Cannot find file C:windows rundll32.exe, or one of its componets.

Can u tell me how I can correct this problem, i cannot open up anything in the control panel, without getting this error message...thanks..Antoniette

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi antoniette, try this:
    Rundll32.exe is an essential Windows file, used internally to activate a wide variety of system functions, from formatting floppy disks to handling Open with... on the right-click pop-up menu. If the file is missing or corrupted, you'll have big problems. To recover, put your original Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive, open an MS-DOS prompt, and navigate to the folder on the CD-ROM that contains the setup .cab files. These will be files with sequentially numbered names like Win98_ 21.cab, Win98_ 22.cab, and so forth. Within that directory, determine the first CAB file name in numerical sequence. Now enter the command extract/LC:\Windows /A win98_ 21.cab rundll32.exe, replacing Win98_ 21.cab with the actual lowest- numbered cab file name. This will extract a fresh copy of Rundll32 .exe and put this essential file directly into your Windows folder. Somebody may have a simpler answer for you.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Also, do an up to date and thorough Virus Scan.
    If you don't have it you can have a free online scan here:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

What happens when you go to start>run and type this command
    and press enter?

control.exe appwiz.cpl

4. antoniette

I must have deleted this program. I went into the recyle bin and saw rundll.exe and i restored it...looks like the control panel is now working....serves me right for deleting something i shouldnt have....but thank goodness I did not empty out my recyling bin..should this do the trick?thanks.Antoniette

5. HKEd

HKEd

Could be the SirCam worm. It renames rundll32.exe. There's a good fix here:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Close all running programs before running FixSirc.com, including your antivirus program.

If it's not SirCam, running this tool will not have any adverse effects. Let us know how it goes.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Yes. Restoring should do it. That file is extremely important. It is a loader. It loads other files. You would not have been able to open a Favorite in Internet Explorer without it either. It loads your Power Profile also.

7. antoniette

Thanks everyone.....everything is okay...glad I have somewhere to get information, with my computer questions..Antoniette

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice