1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] copy and paste problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by grandpaw7, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Is there any way to copy and paste all or a portion of a pdf document? Trying to do it the usual way doesn't work for me. I can't get anything to highlight.

So I opened the document in html (using Google). But copying is much harder than usual. I can't just easily highlight what I want to copy the way I usually do but have to play around and hope that at some point only the part I want gets highlighted. It doesn't work for me to place my cursor at the first of what I want to copy and then, holding the left key down as usual going to the end of the part I want to copy, because nothing gets highlighted that way. Sometimes when my cursor is in the middle of a paragraph and I click the left button, that paragraph gets highlighte; sometime only a portion gets hightlighted; sometimes several paragraphs get highllighted. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I wonder copying in this situation is so much different than usual, and if there is some way to make the highlighting for copying easier?

Thanks, grandpaw7

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Moved you here since this is really a non windows software issue.

The newer versions of Adobe have a Text Select tool, the tool bar tab of which is a big T

Click that and your crosshair cursor should change to an I bar.

That allows you to select and copy text using the right click method as you would normally.

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

grandpaw, I think if the document is protected, it can't be copied. Most of the forms you'll find on the websites don't permit that.

Is there a particular form we can take a look at? Are you using READER or the full product?

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

AcaCandy, this is an article rather than a form. It is at http://www.c-span.org/resources/pdf/hjres114.pdf. I located the article through google and google gives me the option to view the document as html. I did that, but, as I said, while I was able to copy parts of the document, I could not control what got highlighted and thus could not copy what I wanted.

I have both Adobe Acrobt 5.0 and Adobe Reader 3.01. I assume that when I opened the google citation to the pdf document it used Adobe Acrobat 5.0, but I don't know how one tells which program is being used.

I"ve not yet installed the update that Rollin' Rog mentioned.

Thanks for your interest. grandpaw7

6. ~Candy~

Hmmm, that link doesn't appear to work for me....what did you google search?

Nevermind, I figured it out, you have a period at the end of the line. I opened it fine with acrobat reader.....just hit the text tool like Rog mentioned, and you can copy and paste til your heart is content.

But, as was mentioned, you may need to upgrade to Acrobat Read 5 or higher.

You should be able to find a .pdf file via windows explorer, then right click and choose to associate it with Acrobat 5 instead of reader.

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

When I click on Start>Programs, it lists only "Adobe Reader 5.0".

When I go to Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove, it lists "Adobe Acrobat 5.0" and "Adobe Reader 3.01".

When I go to Explorer, it lists only "Acrobat 3".

I won't try to go into all the stuff that appeared when I searched for adobe and then for acrobat in Find.

When I went to "Adobe Reader 5.0" in Programs, and clicked on it, the Adobe window opened up, and then a message appeared "You cannot currently view Adobe PDF files from within your web browser due to a configuration problem. Would you like Acrobat to fix the configuration?" I click hell yes.

I believe the next thing was a message asking if I wanted a search for updates, to which I replied heck yes.

Then an Updates Found message. I click on Get Update.

Then a message that the "Web Client has been updated".

Anyhow, when I went to the Adobe website it says I can update to Adobe Reader 6.0.

I couldn't find any place that tried to explain the difference between Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adove Acrobat. Maybe there isn't any.

I'm not aware of having a text tool. I suppose I would get that with an update.

BOTTOM LINE: SHOULD I NOW DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ADOBE ACROBAT READER 6.0? AND SHOULD I THEN DELETE ADOBE 3.01 AND ADOBE 5.0 USING THE ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM?

Sorry to be so wordy but I tend to do that when I don't know what I'm talking about.

grandpaw7

8. ~Candy~

Acrobat Reader, is just that...you can only view and read files, Acrobat 5 (unless it says reader too) should be the full version, this is an expensive program, so I guess you should know if you purchased it or not.......you may have two versions of reader on your computer, and sometimes that plays havoc. If you are going to update to 6, and you figure out that you only have reader, uninstall both versions first.

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks, AcaCandy. Since I'm not aware of having any use for more than the reader, I'll not get the full version till a need arises. grandpaw7

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

My version is 5.05 (9/24/2001) -- hardly the latest. Don't you see a T icon on the top menu/tool bar? just press that.

And by the way, you have to watch the periods at the ends of links that you post, it keeps them from being displayed.

You should have no trouble copy/pasting that document, here's a little clip:

116 STAT. 1498 PUBLIC LAW 107?243?OCT. 16, 2002
    Public Law 107?243
    107th Congress
    Joint Resolution
    To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq.
    Whereas in 1990 in response to Iraq?s war of aggression against
    and illegal occupation of Kuwait, the United States forged a
    coalition of nations to liberate Kuwait and its people in order
    to defend the national security of the United States and enforce
    United Nations Security Council resolutions relating to Iraq;
    Whereas after the liberation of Kuwait in 1991, Iraq entered into
    a United Nations sponsored cease-fire agreement pursuant to
    which Iraq unequivocally agreed, among other things, to eliminate
    its nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons programs and the
    means to deliver and develop them, and to end its support for
    international terrorism;
    Whereas the efforts of international weapons inspectors, United
    States intelligence agencies, and Iraqi defectors led to the discovery
    that Iraq had large stockpiles of chemical weapons and
    a large scale biological weapons program, and that Iraq had
    an advanced nuclear weapons development program that was
    much closer to producing a nuclear weapon than intelligence
    reporting had previously indicated;
    Whereas Iraq, in direct and flagrant violation of the cease-
    Oct. 16, 2002
    [H.J. Res. 114]

>> if you don't have that, go ahead and update. Might be best to uninstall the others first, but I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary.

11. ~Candy~

Yes, Rog, it's definitely best to uninstall first. I tried to do an overinstall and ran into nothing but problems. I even had to post a help thread here somewhere :eek: to get out of trouble....imagine that ;)

5.05 was the latest until this 6.0 upgrade not too very long ago.....you're not as behind as you think on that one ;)

12. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I uninstalled the two Readers that I had and then installed Reader 5.05. It had the T icon and, of course, I could then copy whatever parts I wanted. I don't know why the 5.0 I had before didn't have it, but that's no longer a problem.

Much obliged to you good people.

grandaw7

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, I didn't know what that was for until recently myself; certainly makes those .pdf documents a lot more useful.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice