1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Critical Error Message

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by leo011, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo011

leo011 Thread Starter

I was trying to install Rune: Halls of Valhalla, a 3d online game and got this error:

CoInitialize(NULL) failed (00000001)
    History: WFilerWizard::OnInitDialog <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- Wdialog::DoModal <- Setup

My system specs are as follows:
    600MHz AMD Duron
    128 PC100 SDram
    20 Gig HD, with 8 Gig empty
    52X Creative CD-Rom
    VooDoo3 3000 3D video card w/16MB video ram
    DirectX 8
    Windows 98 Second Edition

My computer meets all of the required specs, I have never seen this error before. Does anyone know what this error represents????

Thanks in advance,
    Leo011

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

One or two links here indicate there may be conflcts with installed programs, for example gravis.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q="CoInitialize(NULL)+failed+&hl=en

You can also try disabling dma mode in the cd-rom device manager properties>settings page, although it did not work for one person who tried it. It does sometimes resolve install problems.

Check with the vendor's support to see if there are any known install conflicts that would produce that error.

3. leo011

leo011 Thread Starter

I did a little research of my own today. According to the FAq's for Deus Ex, another game that uses the same engine, does have conflicts with Gravis software. I uninstalled my Gravis GAmepad Pro and the game installed fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice