1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] CTRL-ALT-DELETE not responsive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by geckogirl, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geckogirl

geckogirl Thread Starter

Ok, so what do you do when the cure-all kill-all doesn't work? I'm running Win 98 and pressing ctrl-alt-del never responds... at all.... period. It used to work, and now it doesn't. It doesn't shut the computer down, it doesn't soft-boot it, it doesn't bring up task manager, it doesn't do anything. It is as if I am not touching the keyboard at all. It doesn't matter if I am running a program or not. I could have just started the computer up and it still doesn't work. Please help! PLEASE?

Ok, first thanks to all who have so far lent me support (both emotionally and technically). However, sadly enough, nothing has helped. I have tried housecall, it found nothing. I have tried running sfc, it found nothing. I tried running tweakui, the repair thing, but every time I tried it, it kept telling me that I would have to restart my computer first. So, I would, but then it still said the same thing. :confused: I have downloaded Spybot, but have not yet installed and ran it because as far as I can tell, it just locates spyware files, and I already have Adaware that does the same thing, and it has recently been run. As has my Av (Norton), and scandisc and defrag, and windows updates. Still in the dark here, any other ideas?

2. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi Geckogirl, That is truly bizarre!? You could try downloading a free program called 'TweakUI' and on the 'Repair' tab find 'Repair System Files' and hit the 'Repair Now' button. You should also download another must have freebie called 'Spybot Search and Destroy' and update it and run it and let it fix any problems it finds. You might have to do a re-install if nothing else works, but maybe someone else can offer some other ideas? :confused:

3. TheJoost

TheJoost

One other thing to do is run a virus check if you have anti-virus software or find an on-line virus scanning site if you have no anti-virus program. :)

4. Rache

Rache Banned

Best online scan is Housecall: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp If you've got an onboard av disable it 1st.

If it's not a virus then run system file checker; RUN/ type sfc and replave files from os disc as required (but note ALL changed files will show).

5. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

7. geckogirl

geckogirl Thread Starter

Ok, first thanks to all who have so far lent me support (both emotionally and technically). However, sadly enough, nothing has helped. I have tried housecall, it found nothing. I have tried running sfc, it found nothing. I tried running tweakui, the repair thing, but every time I tried it, it kept telling me that I would have to restart my computer first. So, I would, but then it still said the same thing. I have downloaded Spybot, but have not yet installed and ran it because as far as I can tell, it just locates spyware files, and I already have Adaware that does the same thing, and it has recently been run. As has my Av (Norton), and scandisc and defrag, and windows updates. Still in the dark here, any other ideas?

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Ok, let's see what is running at start-up.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet.

9. Krall

Krall

Stupid question, but are you sure your ctrl, alt, and dlt keys are still working individualy, maybe one is bad. When you start your pc let it load a little bit ,but before the win logo screen, try pressing CTRL<ALT<DEL and see if it restarts the post . if it does then you know the problem is windows related. If it doesnt do you have another keyboard you can try?

10. steamwiz

steamwiz

11. geckogirl

geckogirl Thread Starter

Ok..... now I feel a little dumb. I suppose I was having one of my rare blonde moments, or it was the stubborness in me to refuse to believe that the problem was that simple. The winner is.... KRALL!!! Just today I brought home a keyboard from work and tried it and it worked. So, I guess it is just a hardware thing. (Maybe my keyboard is telling me it needs a bath... ) Anyway, again thanks alot to all who have taken their time and patience to try to help me figure out this mystery!:rolleyes:

12. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Giving your keyboard a bath isn't as silly as it may sound.

This procedure assumes a capacitive keyboard and not a mechanical one.

There are two ways of doing this, the easy way, but lots of downtime (if you don't have a second keyboard to use in the mean time), and the more 'labor intensive, but shorter time way.

First way, fill the tub or laundry sink with about 4 to 6 inches of warm water and use Dawn or some other dishwashing detergent. Immerge the whole keyboard; less the connector that plugs into the PC in the tub and let it soak for 3 or 4 hours. After about 2 hours of soaking, go over the full keyboard and hit each key 10 or 12 times. Let soak for another hour or two. Rinse completely under running water. Take it out and stand it on end to drain and leave it for a day or two to completely dry. The problem is, inside most keyboards is a Mylar sandwich of three sheets of Mylar. The top and bottom have a circuit and 'landing pads" or contact points for the keys. When water gets between these layers it takes forever to dry out.

The second way is to open up the keyboard and remove the controller card, the mu metal plates and the Mylar circuit. Keep track of the screws, there are lots and they are small. Once the guts have been removed, place the key section in the tub as above.
    When you are done, drain and use a blow dryer to dry it out. Carefully re-assemble and plug it in.

If for any reason the keyboard doesn't work, something is still wet!!

Since most keyboards now days are the capacitive type that use the Mylar circuit, soaking them in water won't hurt them. Just make sure everything is EXTREMELY DRY before using it again.

13. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hats off to Krall! (y) Sometimes it's the simple things in life! :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice