1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) D- drive no space

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by doe1, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doe1

doe1 Thread Starter

Scanner not working properly "NO SPACE", Checked drive to find it full of Adobe, Acrobat, Clip art card program etc. Viewed some things but told "Cannot be deleted" A lot of things were already installed in my comp. when I ordered it. I want to be very careful what I delete, but the list is a mile long.
    Any suggestions??? Please help

2. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

Go to Add/Remove in Control Panel and highlight programmes you rarely use and click the Remove button. Obviously, you may only highlight and remove one programme at a time.

After that delete any files in the Temp folder, clear your History folder and then empty the Recycle Bin.

Any data files you do not need as well as any gifs, bitmaps etc not required may be deleted.

Should all the above actions do not free up sufficient space then it might be the time to back up your data files to floppy/CD and do a clean install of your OS thereafter only installing software that you know you cannot do without.

Lastly, consider investing in the largest hard drive you BIOS and OS will support.

3. jm100dm

jm100dm

Do you have two hard drives or is it your cdrom with a disk in it?

If so you can not delete items on the cdrom.

Go into my computer and right click on c: to find out how much space you have.

Welcome to Tech Support Guy.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

jm100dm

4. doe1

doe1 Thread Starter

Thank you both, Mahmud and Jm for your help.
    Problem not solved YET, but am working on your
    advice. Taking one step at a time. Will let you both know.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I recently setup an HP machine that came preloaded with Win-XP Home. The disk usage when it was virgin was about 12gigs, with tons of pre-loaded "trial" versions of programs. I quickly pared it down to about 4, and I left some stuff that I probably should have deleted, but I didn't want to take the chance. I also got rid of their idiotic 6 gig recovery partition, since that would just take me back to where I was when I started the process! :rolleyes: I finished up with a GHOST of the finished system, which is a lot better than HP's recovery partition would do, and delivered it to the client.

I think that the major brand makers should be shot for the stupid configurations they foist off onto an unsuspecting public! :mad:

6. doe1

doe1 Thread Starter

Thank you all. D Drive problem is solved ,and I've gained so much more room in C Drive as well with all your suggestions. Again thanks!

7. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

You are welcome and glad that your problem has been resolved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice