1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}D850gb Mb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by McGuyver, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. McGuyver

McGuyver Thread Starter

I'm trying to get an Intel D850GB MB to boot. The monitor gives me this :
    Boot Agent Version 4.0.17
    Copyright (C) 1997-2001, Intel Corperation

Intel Base-Code, PXE-2.0 ( build 083)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE Rom
    Boot Failure: system halted

The system is new with 1.7ghz CPU with 640mb RDRAM. I only have a HDD hooked up to the primary IDE. The HDD has nothing on it for it is new as well. I installed the latest BIOS which got me to this point. Is there anyone who could help me or has seen this before?

2. deuce

deuce

When exactly do you get that error? Have you checked the IDE cable? It could be loose or bad. I know the HD is new but those do sometimes go bad, even before you get them. Depending on how far you can get your system booted... you could try a step-by-step confirmation if the cable is ok. I just put together a P4 with that same board in august... I couldn't have done any less work... in fact I really didn't do anything, all went together ok as should happen.

3. brianF

brianF

that error message is being generated by the lan(network card)

If you have a nic installed take it out, if onboard, disable in bios or hook up the cable.

Not sure why that would cause the machine to not boot at all though

Have you booted with a startup disk and fdisked and formated the drive?????

4. McGuyver

McGuyver Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Both of you were right. I had disabled the network in the BIOS but as the NEW HDD was bad, the system went to the 4th boot device and halted. It was also a corrupted BIOS. I had used a VIPER 770 ULTRA when I first started to put the unit together and it caused the problem. The VIPER video card isn't compatable. But anyway the thing is up and running and I'm tweaking the software that I have installed. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

5. deuce

deuce

Great to hear all is taken care of. I thought that it was a little weird that a brand new Intel board with a high-end chipset like that would be so messed up... but then I read about the vid card. That can do it sometimes. Good luck to you in all your future computing needs and have a happy new year. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice