1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Default Image-Viewing Software?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CeciliaLibra, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CeciliaLibra

CeciliaLibra Thread Starter

Hi! I have a question regarding images.

It used to be that when I double-clicked on a JPG or GIF, some default program would open them up. I didn't like this program much, so I uninstalled it.

I expected that in the future one of the other zillion graphics programs I have on my computer would somehow become the default, but it's not happening. What I have to do now is *launch* a program, then tell it to open the graphic.

This is a small annoyance, but a PITA nevertheless.

Any suggestions on how I can tell Windows to make Photoshop (or something else) the default image viewer? The images now appear with that windows-banner unknown-program icon, and don't even give me the option to right-click and "open with"...

*Help!*

Cecilia

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

Select the Image you want to open, and left click it once. Hold shift and right click the highlited item, a diaglog box will pop up.

Select open with, choose your imaging program from the list, if you want all images of this type to open with this program put a check in the "alway use this program to open this type of file" box.

That should do it...Rhett :)

3. CeciliaLibra

CeciliaLibra Thread Starter

Wow! That sure as heck did it. Can I use that same trick to *change* the application I use to open it with, assuming I get tired of waiting for Photoshop to launch every time?

Cee

4. rhettman5

rhettman5

That method should work for most anything, just be sure the program you select supports the file you are using, glad I could help...Rhett :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!