[Resolved] defragging

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xrayfrank

I try to defrag and it keeps starting over and over again. I can't do it. Any help?

Hi
I always have this problem and have asked loads of people about it, advice given is turn off screen saver,turn off scanner then persevere !
Mine often takes 3 or4 hours. It depends on how many applications you have ect but it also appears to be a windows thing as mine keeps saying the drive contents have changed. Also before you defrag get rid of as much rubbish you have stored ect and do a disk cleanup

Good luck

Hi xrayfrank

First of all - always run scandisk before defrag or you could end up in trouble

Close all programs using Ctrl-Alt-Del except "systray" and "explorer"

turn off your screensaver

disable your anti-virus

Then run scandisk first

If it still wont complete do it in safemode

steam

Del

I had the same problem until I started running scandisk and defrag from the safe mode, works fine like that.

Rache

Banned
I use safemode too.

BTW there's a free utility PowerDefrag - it's a lot faster.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Power Defrag is sort of Smoke and Mirrors.

All it does is run the Windows Defrag program at boot time before any other apps have been started. The reason why it "appears" to be faster is that it runs with the Optimize Programs option UNselected.

You can achieve the identical thing by downloading the attached file, editing the line
"Defrag"="DEFRAG.EXE I:"
and replacing the "I:" by the drive letter you wish to defrag

Then change the extension from TXT to REG

Then, whenever you wish to defrag, double click on the file and reboot.
Defrag will be the first thing that runs.

Attachments

Hi

I just wanted to thank all of you, I have been having this prob. for the past week. I have win. ME I was getting the same error about defrag. and another one,

only 1% complete after 8.5 hrs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts