1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Deleting duplicate folders and files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kevcro, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevcro

kevcro Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to identify, select and delete DUPLICATE folders and files? I suspect there are quite a few lurking somewhere in my comp. My C: drive is almost full. I am not very computer literate so pls be specific (i.e. does deleting a folder take the files with it etc..). Thank you all.. I really appreciate these forums! AND your help!!

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Hi Welcome to TSG!

Ummm this is a quick and dirty solution. Do a start.find files and folders/ find files of same name and check file size , if approx the same size you can (assume maybe) they are duplicates and try deleting them.

More practical, do a search for ~*.tmp and delete them, I believe that is a safer way to free HD space!

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi kevcro,

I would NOT delete duplicate files and folders.....I did it once and it shut down my computer and I had to reinstall everything. I would instead be deleting TEMP files, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History. And, look at files ending in *.bmp, *.old, *.log,
    *.bak, *.gif, *.txt.

Uninstall programs that you no longer use.

Deleting the Folder takes the files with it.

Spaceman

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I'm with Spaceman.
    Attempting to find and then delete duplicate files will most likely end you in hot water.

The major savings should come from the TEMP folder and \TIF folder.

To get maximum benefit (by deleting the index.dat files also), restart to DOS and enter the following commands.

Smartdrv
    Deltree c:\recycled
    Deltree c:\Windows\Temp
    Deltree c:\windows\Tempor~1
    Deltree c:\Windows\Cookies
    Deltree C:\Windows\History

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

Just figured I would help spaceman_333 and WhitPhil on this one.

Deleting duplicate files is risky....as cheap as harddrives are I would say buy a second one.

6. kevcro

kevcro Thread Starter

Thank you for all the help!! kevcro - case resolved

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice