1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}deleting screensaver

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pulleeu2, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pulleeu2

pulleeu2 Thread Starter

I picked up a screensaver somewhere called 3D pipes and I can't
    get rid of it. Don't know where to find it in the hard drive. When I try to change it, hit apply and ok, I go back to it and its back on again. I can only affect the time before it comes back on. How do I get rid of it?

2. brianF

brianF

3d pipes is a default win98 screen saver.

It's located in c:\windows\system directory, you could rename to .old

Can you sucessfully change to anyother screen saver or to none???

Not sure it's a problem with the specific screensaver so much as a problem with permissions to change.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I agree with brianf. The screensaver is loaded from System.ini.
    If system.ini has mistakenly been assigned a read only property, no changes can be made to it. No screensaver change will stick.
    Try this: Go to find files and type
    system.ini
    Right click on its icon and choose properties. If the Read only box is checked, uncheck it.

4. pulleeu2

pulleeu2 Thread Starter

When I clik on another screensaver, it still shows the 3D pipes. So, no I cannot get another screensaver to work. I can preview the others, but they won't apply.
    I right clicked on the 3D pipes and hit properties. The checkmark is not in the read only, but in the archives.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Sorry. Let me explain to you. You don't want to do anything to the screensaver file. Find system.ini using find files.
    Do not open it. Right click on it and choose properties. If the read only box is checked, click in it to unselect it. Try to change the screensaver now.

6. pulleeu2

pulleeu2 Thread Starter

Okay, I clik start, then run, then put in system.ini then okay, but it brings me to system using notepad, so I just get a list and at the bottom, it has SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\3DPIPE~1.SCR but I don't know how to get the properties when it uses the notepad.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You typed into run and so it opened the file. You want to type that into find files. It will not be open. You want to right click on the icon for system.ini and choose properties.
    Have a look at the attachment I have included.

Attached Files:

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Right click on system.ini icon you just found and choose properties to bring up this page> Look at the attachment. Be sure the Read Only box is not checked.

EDIT: I will have to add the attachment to the next post. It didn't add itself.

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Look at the attachment.

Attached Files:

10. pulleeu2

pulleeu2 Thread Starter

DONE!!!!!!!!!
    I got it. I went into the find files. It just read WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    though and not ini. I right clicked, got properties and the read only was checked. I unchecked it and I can use other screensavers now. Thanks alot. Any idea what caused that?

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Glad you have it now. Honestly, sometimes these things happen. I know that sounds strange, but in this case, I couldn't tell you. I think Windows has a mind of its own.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice