1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Desktop Disappeared

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by M2CUTE, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. M2CUTE

M2CUTE Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario. A few nights ago I installed my Turbo Tax Program. It rebooted and I put my password in clicked and when I went to my desk top there was nothing there Zip totally clean. Then I did alt, delete control, a box popped up which had two programs in it Explorer and Scripp( something like that) than I did alt,delete, control again it restarted and the same thing happened. I had a second desk top on my computer( How why I have no idea) put if I kept clicking the screen with the password box on it it would come up. But now even that doesn't come up. I did go to safe mode but I can't access my aol account from there.

Any ideas what has happened?

Thanks Candy

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Candy
    Welcome to TSG!
    I am not sure what happened during your install of turbo tax, however I would suggest you do a scanreg /restore while you still have an opportunity to do it. If you have Win98 or 98SE or WinME and 5 days have not lapsed restart your system using your bootdisk. Select start in dos or minimal boot whichever is available. Once A:> prompt is there type in C: and hit enter.
    Once C:> prompt is there type in Scanreg /restore and hit enter.
    Note: make sure there is a space between the g and /
    Once screen appears select a date that is prior to the install of turbo tax and hit enter and restart your system. That should hopefully return you to a stable time.
    Note: if you do not have a bootdisk go here and download one onto a floppy. WWW.Bootdisk.com
    Dave

PS Maybe someone else will have another idea.

3. M2CUTE

M2CUTE Thread Starter

I did in fact do that after I read some other posts. The good thing is that my 2nd desktop will now come up and I can access AOL. But the desktop that I was using is still gone all that comes up is the screen saver and when I click a small box comes up with Explorer and Syncis in it. I was hoping that the reg thing would solve all the problems but it has not.

Also when I type in my password it automatically takes me to the Blank desktop and I still have to keep clicking on the screen that appears under the password box to access the other desktop. Is their a way to be able to just click on the password box and have it take me to the 2nd desktop that I am having to use?

I am not sure I understand why I need a disk to reboot doesn't that happen when the computer is turned off?

thanks
    Candy

4. M2CUTE

M2CUTE Thread Starter

Well, I checked all the systems and they seemed to be working fine. Then I went to this web sitehttp://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/EXEfix08.zip
    and downloaded the start log and that looked ok too. Then I downloaded the .EXE program if any thing has been messed up by stuff. I then logged off my 2nd desk top, it put me back to the password box, i entered my password and THEN it put me to my original desktop and there it was all of it!! Everything now seems to be fine I have rebooted several times and it still works. soo who knows...

Any way thanks for all you info and help in all the posts listed.
    Candy

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Candy
    Good job in uncovering a missing file association. Was just typing a response to you question about the boot disks not being required now and to start checking the for explorer.exe program problems.
    Have a good day. I will request the thread be marked resolved.
    Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice