1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] desktop icons reversed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ronglass, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronglass

ronglass Thread Starter

I have not knowingly changed anything that would
    cause my desktop icons to arrange themselves in reverse - starting with shortcuts beginning with "z" and going in reverse order until the first "folder" icon is hit and then continuing in reverse until the last icon (on lower right side) is the "my computer" icon. I can change the non-folder icons by the usual date/size/type arrangements, but the the basic layout is reversed - i.e., shortcut icons on the left, folder icons on the right. I have tried deleting the shelliconcache. I am running W95B. I think I will try safe boot and see how the layout is there and delete the swap file while I am there. ANY OTHER IDEAS ARE MOST WELCOME.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Strange problem, but guess what, you're hardly alone. I've only looked at a few of these threads and it doesn't look like anyone has a solution. But happy hunting. I'll keep looking too.

Desktop Icons Reversed

Actually there is one here. A tad convoluted, but if you're hell bent on having them in the right order....

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&[email protected]&rnum=10

Another poster discovered a java.zip file in his autoexec.bat that was causing it to happen.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That menu is built by shell32.dll. The desktop is a component of Windows Explorer.
    I would start by extracting a fresh copy of each of those files to Windows\system
    Explorer.exe
    shell32.dll

You use win95. But if you have Winzip or the windows 95 Power toys (which includes cabview) you can extract those files using these utilities instead of doing it in DOS. However, you will have to then copy the new files using the command prompt.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A PM follow-up from Ron

You're welcome Ron and thanks for the follow-up. It wasn't "my" fix of course, but I'll just take credit for finding it :) (I'm assuming you are referring to procedure in the Google groups link)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice