1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}desktop settings

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by douggibb, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. douggibb

douggibb Thread Starter

My kids have messed up my computer. It will only give me 16 bit colour and huge desktop icons, none of the programs that should start with windows start automatically. Changing display settings doesn't work, I've tried using a previous autoexec.bat, bootlog.txt, no joy. Any ideas ?

2. brianF

brianF

Have you tried to reinstall your video drivers, sounds like somehow they got changed.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Doug
    You haven't mentioned during your last two problem posts what OS you are running. If you are running Win98, 98SE and you tried running Scanreg /restore to a date previous to this problem.
    If five days have not lapsed that sould set all this straight.
    If you are running WinME which I don't think because of the autoexe.bat comment you could use system restore.

Let us know if that is possible to run Scanreg /restore.
    Dave

Edit: Opps I didn't see you posted already Brian.

4. douggibb

douggibb Thread Starter

I gave up on this last night, new start today.
    I am running windows 98, I have restored the files which would appear to have been changed yesterday to no effect still stuck.
    Your help would be greatly apprieciated.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Doug
    Have you done Brians suggestion to reinstall the video drivers?
    Also you mentioned no restore capability. Do you mean this problem is older than five days of five good 24hr apart startups?
    If not then go to dos prompt and type in scanreg /restore and select date older than problem.
    Dave

6. douggibb

douggibb Thread Starter

cheers, I'll go and try that now.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Received E-mail from Doug that the Scanreg /restore did the trick and he is back up and running.

This is the message:

Sorted.
    I think you're brilliant Davie.
    I might get windows xp if it has handy stuff like this.

Doug

I also replyed with this message:

Doug
    It is up to you you to upgrade to WinXP, however Win98 if serving you well does a good job as you know. Another consideration with WinXP is you may find some of your devices will not operate under XP and there are not drivers available.
    Be caucious.

Glad you got it fixed.
    Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice