1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Device manager lists 2 monitors...I only have 1!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

One says unknown monitor, the other says Plug and Play. When I select "remove"(unknown) Windows installs it again?! Device manager says (both?) monitors are working properly!

2. brianF

brianF

have you tried booting up in safe mode and removing both of them, then let windows reinstall on reboot

3. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks...I'll try that and post back results.

4. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Wow, weird! when I booted up in safe mode and checked device manager it showed 7 (yes SEVEN) monitors!) I removed them all(1 unknown, 5 plug and play, and 1 super VGA[or something like that, I was so dumfounded I do not remember exact wording]!

I selected remove for all of them, and shut down. When I rebooted...same problem...Windows installed 2 monitors(1 unknown and 1 plug and play)! :confused:

Could it be something to do with my vid card...it has Twin View support, but it is disabled.:confused:

5. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

pardon my *bump* Anyone have any ideas?

6. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Please.:(

7. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

What kind of monitor do you have? Brand and model number - if I were you I would find thedriver specifically for your monitor and update the driver of the "unknown" monitor to the driver you download for the monitor that you have. Then go back to safe mode and uninstall the other one (plug and play). Also if you had that many ghost drivers in Monitors - you might need to check Display Adaptors, Sound Video and Game Controllers, CDROM, and Disk Drives. If it shows more than you have then delete all in that area and let Windows reinstall them.

8. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

from Guru 3D Detonator driver guide...

NOTE : If you have a Geforce2 MX (like myself) when use a driver newer than 6.50 it will add another monitor (driverwise) because it thinks you have TwinView (whether you do or not).

I "downgraded" my nvidia drivers to version 6.50 and my "2 monitor problem" went away... I just hope using older video card drivers, will not affect other stuff...we will see.;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice