1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}DirectDraw Problems on Nvidia riva Tnt2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by apurva, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

Hi..
    I just performed a clean install of windows xp professional edition on a freshly formatted hard disk.
    Here is my current hardware configuration:
    PIII 500Mhz, 192Mb Ram, 16Mb Riva Tnt 2 Pro Graphics, Asus P3v4x motherboard, creative vibra 128 sound card..

I have a problem with Direct draw. whenever i try to test direct draw thru dxdiag, my screen flickers a few times and the my computer hangs. I have now diabled direct draw acceleration. I have tried the latest Nvidia Detonator xp drivers (2.1.83) as well as the default drivers that came with xp. There is still no difference.

I could use direct draw and direct 3d with the same hardware setup on my previous system, Win ME. All the directx games ran fine there.

Please let me know what the problem is as this is the only glitch in an otherwise impeccable system..

Thanks,
    Apurva Mehta

2. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

Hi again..

The I just thought i should let you know that when i try to test direct draw i get a blue screen which gives the message:

"Error in the file nv4.dll
    The device has been sent into an infinite loop. This indicates a problem with the device itself or with the drivers that control the device."

I get the same error whether i use the default windows xp drivers for my graphics card or whether i use the one provided by nvidia..

I have used my card for well over a year in windows me and windows 95..

Regards,
    Apurva

3. volrathxp

volrathxp

try reinstalling Direct X. hope i helped.

4. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

There is no special version of direct x 8.1 for xp.. the microsoft site says that it is already installed and offers no link from where to download it.

Does any one know of alternate drivers for nvidia cards?

5. brianF

brianF

6. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

I have tried almost all the possible drivers for my card. here are the versions:
    X.XX.1214 (WHQL certified)
    X.XX.2183 (WHQL certified)
    X.XX.2280

I also tried the ones available on Asus's website; the latest ones there are in version 3.79
    All bring the same result.. I really dont know how this will be resolved and am open to any ideas so please post away !!

regards,
    Apurva

7. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

I tried installing the drivers that came on a cd with my video card.. they were written way back in 99 and were for nt4..
    To my surprise Direct draw actually worked.. I could successfully test it in dxdiag.. however direct 3d and AGP texture acceleration could not be enabled..

This means that i need to find a old driver.. but not a very old one so that i have direct 3d acceleration and direct draw works.... any ideas???/

Regards,
    Apurva

8. brianF

brianF

It may be of help to install the latest 4 in 1 drivers for your motherboard, they should include the agp driver.

9. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

i already tried that without any luck...

10. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

I just spotted something strange..
    When i go to the device manager> Display Adapter>Nvidia Riva Tnt 2> properties..
    for Location, this is what i get: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

My card is an AGP card, why is it showing PCI bus 1?? I would appreciate it if someone with an AGP card on Windows XP would check out what was shown under 'Location' on their computer..

I am using the latest version of the 4in1 drivers from VIA.. 4.35 i think..

Thanks,
    Apurva

11. apurva

apurva Thread Starter

Hi..
    I fixed the problem.. all i had to do was go to video properties > advanced > trouble shooting and disable write behind caching..
    I also had to bring the slider back until direct draw and direct 3d acceleration were disabled..
    now everything works fine with any driver version i choose to install..
    Just thought id let you know..
    Regards,
    Apurva

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!