1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaptainMurph, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaptainMurph

CaptainMurph Thread Starter

I have just put together an old computer which i had previously been using. It was taken apart, so i reassmbled with a new video card. When I start it and it goes to the second screen checking for IDE primary master etc. It just stops after having ...None after everything, and it just stays there. It doesn't respond to me pressing Delete to enter setup after that. I'm wondering if it could be mechanical or electrical, or both. Thanks

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Have you got all drives disconnected? Is the bios new enough to recognize the hard drive you're attempting to use? I think it's a drive issue.

3. CaptainMurph

No i don't have drives disconnected, and everything has been used before except the video card. So the computer worked at one point

4. CaptainMurph

On the cpu i put together it came up with this after i unhooked one of the plugins to the hard drive. Does anyone know what to do?

5. CaptainMurph

I unhooked one of the plugins because it wasn't detecting anything

6. brianF

brianF

It's looking for the operating system, with the hard drive unplugged it will give that message expecting a disk in the drive.

Is this a brand new machine, brand new hard drive????????
    Or is there an operating system that you have installed fresh on the drive????

7. brianF

brianF

Don't start another thread for the same problem, keep replying to this thread

Merged first thread into second

8. CaptainMurph

once again, no, it's not a new system, the only thing new is the video card. this was basically a computer that was taken apart, now i'm putting it back together.

9. CaptainMurph

so i haven't installed anything.

10. jonhiker

jonhiker

Double check your cables. Make sure that they are plugged in correctly, with the red stripe at the number one pin(red stripe closest to power supply).
    Remove the new vidoe card and replce it with the old one or a different one(a wild guess). ALso, remove the CMOS battery for a bout 15 minutes/this will clear the BIOS and allow you to start fresh.

11. brianF

brianF

k

Check that the ide cable is connected securly to the motherboard with pin1 aligned with the red stripe, also, on the drive, check that the cable is secure and aligned pin1 to red stripe. Double check all the power connectors

Make sure all the add in cards are seated properly, also reseat the new video card. Make sure the memory is seated properly.

If all else fails, remove everything except the video card, processor, memory, and floppy drive. Try to start it and see if it will post.

12. CaptainMurph

fixed the problem, it was really dumb, the power supply to mobo wasn't completely in. HA! Sorry, but thanks for you hospitality

13. brianF

brianF

sokay, as long as it's workin :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/147161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice