1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Display Problems --- Please Please Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ywill4ever, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ywill4ever

ywill4ever Thread Starter

I can't run any programs, because they all require 256-display colors. It doesn't work, when I go to the "Control Panel" and then to the "settings" tab to change from 16 colors to 256 colors. My computer remains in 16 colors.

The colors drop-down box, under the "settings" tab, doesn't even have a listing for the 256 display color choice any longer. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! (Please excuse my french) You know, it all started when the modem decided to quit on me. For a while it kept sending the "Unable to communicate with modem" error, but now its working again, because I had to take the card out of the CPU and re-insert it. That seems to solve the problem for now.

What is wrong? I'm starting to believe my video card doesn't support my programs. These programs had run good before, but now. But now, nothing will run, because of the color display. Someone Please Respond A.S.A.P.!

--desperate and don't won't to spend more money on this computer!

P.S. I opened the CPU case to discover that the PCI slot is empty. Does this mean that I have to buy a video card or something?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Moving the Modem may have created an IRQ conflict with the Video Card. Are you runningin VGA mode?

Try this. Boot to Safe Mode and open Device Manager. Click on the + in front of Display adapters. Hightlight and remove your Display software. If there are multiple instances, remove all of them.

Restart and allow Windows to recognize and reinstall your Video Card. You may or may not need your install disk. Or if you have a special disk for your Video, have that ready.
    Reboot. See if you have the ability to change the settings now.

3. ywill4ever

I haven't tried your advice yet, Mosaic, but I thought you should know that I bought this computer system from a remarketing firm. It didn't come with any manuals or disks, nothing but the keyboard and cables for connection. I had to hunt down a monitor months later. It was running great at first, but now.

-- Okay, Okay!

4. ywill4ever

Your technical advice worked. The computer installed the video drivers. So, things are back to normal. You know, I'm sure I thought I had deleted the display drivers, and reboot the computer (but I didn't know I'd have to be in Safe Mode) and that's why I had to run to you technical support people. I don't know. I barely want this dern computer, now.... I suppose I will forgive it sooner or later....these things act as if they have a mind of their own.

Thanks for your support, anyway. Happy Holidays and God Bless.

--:confused: (This is very appropriate this "Confused" smilie; I'm dern puzzled over this whole predicament; what would we do without you technical support people; hmmmm -- you all please do stick around, because a lot of computer systems will get thrown out the window without you. You know, I was so upset that I threw my boombox out the window. I haven't much to own to throw out the window as it is. Someone else bought it, anyway -- Hope they didn't spend too much....just got to download some frustrations here, too. I'm lucky I'm not suicidal or anything. Oh, I've got so much to unload. I think I'll go find some sort of SOS/frustrations chatroom somewhere. Thanks, again for your help. It's a lift -- really!)

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

ywill4ever,
    LOL You have had a bad time. I'm glad this round is over for you. thanks for letting us know.

Hey. My Computer is very misbehaved. That's why I know so much! I decided I had to. Then I got hooked. I actually have been sorely tempted to toss mine out in the street, too. You are not alone.

Mo

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice