1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) DNS doesn't work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shannonjames, Jun 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannonjames

shannonjames Thread Starter

Hey all..I have a user running Win95, connected via TCP to a NT 4 SP5 network. We have a fractional T1 providing 'net access. For some reason, DNS will not work in either IE5 or Communicator 4.7. I can ping IPs on the Internet, tracert works, I just can't pull any web pages unless I enter the IP address for the web site. Winipcfg shows the PC is getting all the correct settings from the DHCP server.

No other PCs on my network have this problem.

I have uninstalled, re-installed the broswers and the NIC, tried adding Netbeui as a protocol, rebooting, then adding TCP again(to try to kick Windows in the pants [​IMG], renamed Winsock.dll(only had 1 copy on my HD, before you ask), nothing works.

This PC used to be able to connect OK, the users swears she hasn't installed anything.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Shannon J.

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Um... OK, where is the user getting her Internet IP address from (ie. which ISP)? Have you inputted that ISP's DNS server's IP address in the user's DNS server settings in networking (properties of TCP/IP).

If you put in the correct DNS server IP address, then you will be able to get DNS to work

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every" TARGET=_blank>http://www.xperts.co.za/reuel/multiboot

Every</A> morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. shannonjames

shannonjames Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I found that an intern installed the Proxy server client software on the user's PC and had it misconfigured. Thanks again for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/36736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice