1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Downloading problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lori 1, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

When ever I try to download a game or anything I get this box on my screen, no matter what it is I am wanting to download I get this message.

Some files can harm your computer. If the file information below looks suspicious, or you do not fully trust the source, do not open or save this file.
    Filename: realonearcade_W2LO.exe
    File type:Application
    ! This type of file could harm your computer if it contains malicious code would you like to open the file or save it to your computer?
    open save cancel more info.

I have went ahead and saved and opend files like this in the past and had to go in and remove them, cause my computer wouldnt work right. anyone have any idea why this is happening?

http://www.realonearcade.com/?tps=ea_500x350banner

This is one of the sights I am getting this message at.
    Can you Please help me with his problem, and do you have any idea why I am getting this message when I try to download anything?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

When you download files which do or may contain executable code, Internet Explorer 6 SP1 gives you that warning. It's hard coded into IE. Zip, exe, whichever files types IE is set to warn you about. For all files of these file types you'll get that warning. If you uncheck the box which says something like, always show this...... the warning will not appear again.
    The idea is that certain files can be dangerous. Be careful what you run. Viruses, worms etc.

(And Spyware too. Although that is not why the warning is there. ) There can also be conflicts and just plain poorly written code causing crashes.

3. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, I went back to Internet exp.5.5 and Im not having any problems at all now with downloading, thanks again,
    Lori1

4. monted

monted

in IE 6, i just download anyway.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That warning doesn't prevent the download. It is there to let you know you need to be careful opening this file type. Which you do no matter which IE version you have.

You can get rid of it by checking the box on the Warning Page to stop showing it. I would not revert to an older version of IE to remove the warning.

6. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I had updated to IE 6 and everytime I downloaded something with that warning, it did something to my computer to where it froze, right after it installed, why? I have no idea. but I switched back to IE 5.5 and the warning is gone, the downloads are back to the way they always were, with no problem after install. Now why this was happening, I have no idea. But the problem is gone,
    lol sometimes I think these darn computers have a mind of there own,lol but anyway, I didn't see much difference between 5.5 and 6.0 verson anyway, so I will stay with the 5.5. Thanks again guys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice