1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Drive Letter assignments

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rockn, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

Well, finally got XP to install and is running well. The only problem is, is that XP has assigned the drive letter H as the primary partition. Before the install I just deleted the old Win98 partition and began the install of XP. It went through the whole schpeil of crating a partition and installing the OS. Went into disk management and lo and behold H is the primary partition. I am sure there is no way to change this other than FDISKing and starting over again with the install.

2. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

There's probably something on the drive that FDisk didn't see - like NTFS partitions. If you are installing XP there's no need for FDisk (and it may be your problem). Early in the XP installation the imbedded disk manager kicks in and you can do ALL of your disk management at that point without using FDisk at all. Give it a try.

3. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

It won't let you change the boot partitions drive letter assignment in there. There was nothing on the disk other than my work stuff and music on two other partitions. There is also a second drive that is one large partition. YOu would think logically that the OS would create the system partition and make it C, but nooooo....it ignored that convention and named it H the other drive assignmets don't matter because I can change them to anything I like....EXCEPT H now because that is the system partition. Cornfusing yet....LOL

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Do you have the HDD you want to be your "system" one connected as master on the primary channel ? If I were you I would re-do the installation but first disconnect the second HDD and make sure the one you are installing the OS onto is the "Primary/master". If the OS (installation shell) comes up and the second drive is assigned "C,D,E,etc" then the installer cannot use those letters and you can't change the OS's drive letter later on because of all the paths stored in the registry.

5. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

Yea...it's primary master. I was thinking of doing exactly that earlier so the installation doesn't get cornfused....THANX

6. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

Had to boot to a Win98 boot disk, delete the partition, reinstall the primary prtition and it is set up as C again....very simple..very easy.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice