1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Drivers for Maxtor 3000LE not being regocnized. (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Sim83, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sim83

Sim83 Thread Starter

I currently have a Maxtor 3000LE 40gig external HD which I've borrowed for a couple of days for storing my files during my hd formatting. Before I formatted the drive would be easy to install, everything worked fine and I copied the necessary files to the 3000LE. Now after the format I reinstalled Windows 98 SE, all hardware except the soundcard and the Maxtor 3000LE.

I visited www.maxtor.com and got the 3000LE Style B drivers, which are the correct ones for this model of the 3000LE (WF040xxxxx..). The problem is, Windows 98 SE can't find these drivers although I've unzipped them into a folder and direct the hardware wizard to this folder. As I said, before the format it worked great, but now it doesn't. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, as I am in a great hurry and need to return this HD soon. Thanks!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Sim83
    Welcome to TSG!
    A couple of items come to mind here:
    1) Chipset Drivers
    2) Wrong driver package (Read article for proper drivers)
    3) Partial improper install not complete

Try this...... Unplug the drive, then go to device manager and locate the drive if it is displayed and remove it from the listing. Restart machine without drive plugged in. Now shutdown machine and plug drive back in. Power machine up and see if windows recognizes new hardware. If it does try install procedure listed in this article.
    Print article so you have it at your side.
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/_3000le_style_b.htm
    Note: Browse to folder listed in article and select MXOFX.INF file.

If Win98SE does not recognize the drive upon startup as new hardware then you will have to locate the chipset drivers for your motherboard and install those before drive will be recognized. (Are other USB devices recognized and just not this drive?)

Improper of incomplete install can sometimes prevent the wizard form completing. Removing device from the device manager, restarting without device, then shutting down\installing device usually corrects this problem.

Hope that helps.

Dave

3. Sim83

Sim83 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the fast reply! I somehow managed to get it working, almost by mistake. I installed my sb live! drivers, while it simultaneously found a previously not found "USB device", which then turned out to be the maxtor 3000LE. It asked me to install some file from windows/temp, which I declined, and voila! Now it found the correct driver.

Thanks a lot for the answer, it's much appreciated!

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Sim83
    Glad you managed to get it online! I personally know what it is like to borrow something for a specific purpose and then have a tough time completing the task in time to return it! ;)

Take care and will consider this matter resolved.

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!