1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Erratic behavior on XP machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by annsolomon, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annsolomon

annsolomon Thread Starter

Sorry for the vague subject line but I'm having trouble finding the right words to describe this problem.

Sometimes when I open an application, I get two instances of the application.

Also, when I click the Start button or a menu item on my IE browser, I see the expected result for a split second then it disappears. Sometimes, I don't see the expected result at all and have to click several times to see it. For example, I may have to click the Start button several times before it opens up my Start menu and sometimes I'll see the Start menu for a split second before it disappears and I have to try again.

I'm running Norton SystemWorks 2003 and have the latest virus definitions loaded. A scan shows no virus present. I've done a ScanDisk and defragged but nothing seems to help.

Any other ideas what may be causing this? It's getting kind of nerve wracking.

2. Huon

Huon

Perhaps you have your double click set a little too fast? Check out the mouse settings in Control Panel. Or perhaps you have it set to single click?
    (Check single/double click in folder Options/general/click options as follows).

3. annsolomon

annsolomon Thread Starter

My mouse settings were good so I hadn't given serious consideration to a mouse problem. After reading your post, I decided to swap out my mouse with a new one I had on hand. Guess what. Problem resolved. Thanks for helping!

P.S.
    I'm new here and don't see how to mark a thread/problem as resolved. Do I just edit the subject line of my original post to show it as resolved?

4. Huon

Huon

A mod or admin can mark the thread resolved, just post a request. Hit the report link , (at the top) and ask for it to be marked resolved. Hope you enjoy the site.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/135973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice