1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] error loading windows C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chewie1012, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I am trying to load win 98 on a hp 8275 without using the restore disk. I have run fdisk and deleted partions and formatted the drive. I did a clean install of win 98 and end up getting this error twice now. It says missing file C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd . It restarts in safe mode and doesn't give me a cd rom to work with. I thought I might be able to extract the file. I am sure there is a way to do it in dos. I am not real familiar with it. I can work in it a little but am not real profficient. I asked the question before and seemed to get encouragement to go ahead. Can you put a full version of win 98 on a computer that came with a restore disk. This computer is an hp pavilion 8275. Thank you!

2. bandit429

bandit429

Hey Chewie,

Try the link below and let us know if it works.

Click here

3. chewie1012

Ok I will. thank you. I have reformatted my hard drive and will try to install again tommorow with nothing in the computer except video. If this doesn't work I will try to extract the file. Thank you again.

4. bandit429

bandit429

Ok let us know,,I may not be around tomorrow if the weather clears, but somebody will see it. Your welcome.

5. chewie1012

Why do you think this is happening? Wouldn't the file install during a clean install?

6. bandit429

bandit429

I don't know,,I've seen the error often, you would think after a while I would pin it down..I think this is a system file that gets more or less formed according to the computer its installed on,,each computer being a little different makes this particular file a little different on each computer. Thats why I think its so hard to pin a definite cause to this problem.
    Now thats a total guess and I could be way off but thats what I believe right now till I see something different.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually you wouldn't be able to start in Safe Mode if the file was really missing or seriously corrupt. There is a peculiar error of this sort documented to some HPs and it has to do with not being able to detect a proper path statement. This would usually be set in the msdos.sys file, not autoexec.bat -- but it can be done easily with autoexec.bat.

Here is a help link:

http://jswe.com/HPwinInstallVMM32.htm

The entry to make in autoexec.bat is

path=c:\windows\system

see also:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q194679

8. chewie1012

Thanks Rog and Bandit

9. chewie1012

Rollin Rog
    OK I did this and it came up windows protection error without the vmm32.vxd

I did include the apostrophe in the typing of the path. I typed it exactly like this.
    'PATH = C\WINDOWS\' and 'PATH = C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\' I PUT

A SPACE BETWEEN THE EQUAL SIGNS ON BOTH SIDES AND INCLUDED THE APOSTROPHES.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Don't include the apostrophes, I don't know why people post things like that in help links. When I saw it that way I thought maybe I should not include it. That's why I posted the correct entry in bold. There are no spaces in the line either.

And you really only need the one that goes to c:\windows\system

The Microsoft link can be relied on for that.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Can I make a small suggestion, make the path statement as follows:

Path=%Path%;c:\windows\system

The %Path% takes the existing path and adds \windows\system to it.

With only PATH=, any existing path is fogotten and replaced by what follows the equal sign.

The help link is in fact wrong, since the second path they indicate to add, with replace the first one.

The path should have \Windows\Command in it (hopefully by default), otherwise things like SCANREG won't run from the RUN, and without \Windows in the path, REGEDIT won't run.

12. chewie1012

Ok guys I will try this. Thanks.

13. chewie1012

Ok guys I tried thisPath=%Path%;c:\windows\system and I got a win.com error whatever that is. Then I tried what Rog said above and I received a windows protection error. I restarted and realized that windows was still installing( it began looking for plug and play devices. It finished and loaded fine. I am looking at my desktop now. Thanks! I guess we can mark this one solved. You know this computer has been beat on by my kids for a couple of years and by me a couple of years before that and it is still running. I am amazed at it. I upgraded the memory and the hard drive and that is all. This was a replacement computer from HP. The first one I bought was a lemon. After six months of trouble they finally sent me one that works and I have had it since 98.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Very odd and I can't quite explain the behavior as Windows itself (including win.com) would have had to be completely installed for Safe Mode to load in the first place. It's possible the inability to load the startup group and probably the 32bit hardware drivers left something undone that was finally completed.

15. chewie1012

Well the saga continues. I installed the plus part of win 98 plus. Some games etc. I went to shut the computer down and int had a continual beep and I had to shut the computer down physically because it wouldn't shut down. The beep did stop. I haven't tried to turn it back on. I may work on it more later on. I went to a computer show recently asking if anyone had a win 98 upgrade for sale. They said I could use a full version. When I told them it wouldn't work they looked at me like I was buying my first computer. I have put many of them together and pretty much know how to install all the Os's. This is why I thought I could only use an upgrade. Does HP put something into the bios to make it hard not to use a restore disk? Here is an earlier post.
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117884

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!