1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Error Message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ravi, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ravi

Ravi Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 95 and when my computer boots up...when it gets to the desktop...I get an illegal operation error message and it's titles "msmgs'. I've run scandisk and done a virus scan and it still comes up. Does anyone know what this is. The title of the error message may be a little off but it looks like that.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ravi
    Msmsgs Stands for Microsoft messenger. Apparently you are having a problem with the messenger service when it wants to fire up and phone home at startup. You may just want to uninstall it if you do not use it or uninstall and reinstall by download if you do use it.
    Here is the uninstall proceedure.

How do I uninstall MSN Messenger if I have problems?

To uninstall MSN Messenger:
    Click the MSN Messenger icon in the taskbar, and then click Exit.
    Click the Windows Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    Select MSN Messenger from the list and click the Add/Remove button.
    Let us know if that helps you.
    Dave

PS heres where it can be downloaded again:
    http://messenger.msn.com/default.asp?client=1

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Are you sure it isn't msmsgs? that would be an error caused by MSN Messenger. Do you have that program?
    If you do, choose not to run it in the background. Do that by opening Messenger and gong to Tools>options>preferences Uncheck the box to run at start. Reboot.Does the error go away?

IF this is not the case, please post back with the exact wording of the error message.

EDIT:
    I see Davey posted while I was typing.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi Ravi.... I think msmgs is speaking of MSN messenger

what exactly is the error saying?

5. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Do you have MSN Messenger installed? I believe that msmgs is related to this program, so un-installing or re-installing the messenger program might do the trick. A temporary workaround could be to go into the settings, or options of the Messenger program, and disable it from starting up automatically. I don't use this application, so I'm not exactly sure where to alter this option (it should be in there though).

Good Luck;)

Columbo

EDIT: Wow, I see that a zillion people posted the answer before me. Oh well, maybe I need to work on my typing skills. :eek:

6. Ravi

Ravi Thread Starter

That was the culprit guys. It was my ms messenger. I uninstalled it and reinstalled and all is well. Thanks a million

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ravi
    All of us here saying the same thing....It wouldn't dare be anything else! Glad you got it fixed.
    Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice