1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Explorer.exe Error on Startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BlueDog1, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlueDog1

BlueDog1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running windows 98. Today I installed explorer 5.0 over 4.0. When I did this, several strange icons popped up all over the desktop. (This has happened before and I fixed it by restoring a registry from the previous day).

Well, like an idiot, I restored yesterday's registry (before I installed explorer 5.0).

Now when I start the computer, it gives me an invalid page fault in explorer.exe. I can't get into windows at all. I have been searching the forum and tried several tips for people with that same error message. Nothing seems to work.

My question is - Have I completely messed up my windows registry and can it be fixed without having to reinstall windows 98.

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

CAUSE

This issue may occur when you install an earlier version of Internet Explorer than the currently-installed version, or when the new installation of Internet Explorer is corrupt.

Read the following artice, I know it pertains to Juno but the above sounds like what you have wrong.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296211

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have a theory. When you restored that registry, a new rbcab was created. Your reg was renamed rbbad.cab

You probably have rb002.cab
    Want to try something to get todays reg back?
    At the C prompt type

cd windows\sysbckup press enter
    ren rb002.cab rb002.old press enter
    ren rbbad.cab rb002.cab press enter
    scanreg /restore press enter
    Choose rb002.cab

If it doesn't work it won't let you do it. But if it does, you can remove IE 5 and try again. Or leave it as it is.

5. BlueDog1

BlueDog1 Thread Starter

I followed LadyLisa's suggestion because it was the first one that I saw. I followed the instructions on the Microsoft website and was able to extract the windows files from my hard drive. Everything seems to be ok.

Thanks, this forum is a godsend!

6. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

BlueDog

glad it worked for you :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice