1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Explorer Left Frame Missing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Shedoni, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shedoni

Shedoni Thread Starter

Am a new member to your site and hope you can help me restore the missing left frame on Windows (98SE) explorer.

Having surfed before posting here, I think I've found the starting place (in your archives) with discussion at http://forums.techguy.org/t59067.html

"Chuckie" there had the same problem and it was solved, but there are some questions that may make my situation seem different --like the alert re the version of a particular dll (MY browseui.dll version=6.00.2800.1106)
    ----and....Mosaic there says the solution won't work on IE 5.5 (which my IE "about" says I have –with update SP1--although my programs listed in the control panel show IE 6 installed). I can't even figure out why IE is involved since I thought IE was a browser and Windows explorer a separate program (or is it?).

I'm quite sure I must have accidentally deleted this while cleaning the registry with Fixit-3 which I've used for years with no problem. My irresponsible fault, not Fixit's. I've no idea when it might have happened. I guess I don't use explorer often--or at least haven't missed it. In other words, I can live with the blank frame, but....it'd be nice to be able to fix it.

I've scanned and have available a log with HiJack This and also have a full C_drive backup. I tried restoring "missing" [only] files from that backup but that didn't help. I've hesitated to restore/override anything else (including the registry) from the backup because I've added programs since the backup was made in Nov 2002. The restore portion in the backup program asks if I want to restore the registry…..What will happen if I say "yes.? Would appreciate any suggestions….

To be truthful, the complexity of operating systems has outrun my understanding. I love the ease and the access to internet, but sometimes I sure miss the good ol' days of CPM and DOS!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You are probably going to have to sort out the IE version issue to resolve this. Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer do use common shell files and registry entries and when they become mismatched problems result.

You might try going to Add/Remove programs > Internet Explorer, and running the IE Repair Tool.

http://help.att.net/docs/howto/othe...air-tool.htm?customercontent=customer_browser

It won't resolve the Explorer issue, but if IE is truly mismatched it will fail the repair. At that point you need to remove IE (it will revert to an earlier version) and reinstall. Frankly I think it would be a good idea to install an alternate browser before proceeding, just in case IE gets further buggered.

If the removal fails, there is another alternative I will explain later, but you will definitely need an alternate browser in place to attempt it.

www.opera.com is a good substitute and safer.

3. Shedoni

Shedoni Thread Starter

(y) Yeeee! Hawww! Success! Thank you, Rollin' Rog!

Reverting to the earlier version did the trick. Left frame is back in operation!

Appreciate having found this site and YOUR help so very much; you've no idea how relieved I am to have this mystery solved. (and, yes, you're right about Opera--it's my browser of choice, too)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great! I'm not sure what the earlier version was, but if you do update to IE6 sp1, make sure it gets installed correctly and install the the latest cumulative patches for it.

One big caveat, if you use Windows Troubleshooters, make sure you install this patch before any IE cumulative updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

failure to do so can bugger them up.

Frankly I use Opera7 as my defacto browser and only run IE for very limited purposes, most of them to help others or visit certain MS domains.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice