1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Fatal Exception trying to use USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrianFLL, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

Hello all, I am new here so please be patient with me. I recently purchased an Intel Pocket Concert MP3 player. When I hooked it up to my computer using the USB cable I immediatley get the following fatal exception error:
    A fata exceptio 0E has occured at 0028:CFED314B in VXD VSAPPD(01000005EB). The current application will be terminated.
    If I unplu the cord from the MP3 player everything goes back to normal. Intel has suggested I check to see if my BIOS needs to be updated. I have a 4-5 year old Packard Bell. As you all know, Packard Bell doesn't really exist any more so they are no help. I did call the pay per help line their phone number forwards to. They directed me to their web site and downloaded what they said to be a newer versions of my BIOS. That would not install it just gave me errors. They suggested I purchase an USB/PCI card thinking that possibly my USB ports were bad. I did that, and got the exact same fatal exception when plugging into the USB/PCI card. I called Intel again, and they pretty much don't have any idea. We know it's not the MP3 player, I was able to get it working with no problem on a computer at my office. I am running Win98 v4.10.98 on a Pentium MMX with 160MB ram. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I am NOT very knowledgeable in comuters so I am hoping that you smart people can help me in plain english terms. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas. Sorry for the long winded post.

2. brianF

brianF

Just a few questions for clarification

1. Have you been to windows update to download all the critical and service packs for your os.

2. Are you sure about the spelling of the vsappd.vxd, I can't find reference to it on net or on my system. Is it being installed by one of the software packages for the camera or pci card.

3. Do you have usb enabled in the bios, have you ever used a usb device before.

4. If you have a virus scanner running, have you tried to disable it while doing the installations

3. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

BrianF-
    Thanks for such a quick reply. In answer to your questions...
    1. I went to the windows update page and downloaded the latest service pak.
    2. The fatal exception message is slightly different now, here is the latest...
    A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:CFFA1AB in VXD VSAPPD(01)+000005EB. The current application will be terminated.
    3. The USB in enabled, and no I have never used any device that plugs into the USB before.
    4. I disabled my anti-virus software as you advised.
    After doing and checking all of the above I still got the fatal exception message listed above. Any more suggestions or ideas?

4. brianF

brianF

sorry no clue, but I will bump you back up, maybe someelse has an idea.

5. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

I did a search on my system for this VSAPPD thing, and located a file called VSAPPD.VXD in a program called CyberwWrner. Cyber Warner is some kind of "guardian" program that came with my computer. According to the manual CyberWarner "tracks alterations to certain files that can affect the integrigty of your system". When I attempt to shut down this program the response I get is "Shutting down CyberWarner will expose your system to user/application damage which can result in loss of system integrity". Has anyone heard of this program? Is it safe to shut it down to see if it is the cause of my problem? It seems like it is connected to my fatal exceptions since they are occuring in this VSAPPD.VXD. Any input would be appreciated.

6. brianF

brianF

7. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!
    I shut down the CyberWarner as you suggested and the Intel player works just fine. No fatal exception. I really can't thank you enough for steering me in the right direction. You're the BEST!!!!!

8. brianF

brianF

glad it's working for you, had me stumped

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice