1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Folder Named [C:\Program] Opens Automatically on Start

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ted Belben, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ted Belben

Ted Belben Thread Starter

Each time I launch Windows 98SE, a folder (C:\Program)
    automatically opens on my desktop. I checked all start up
    resources and cannot find anything that could cause this
    folder to open.

I suspect it may be a registry entry, or a bug in the
    Windows 98SE operating system.

Anybody have a solution for this problem??

I have been able to inhibit the folder from opening when I
    launch Windows by renaming it, however this is only a work
    around and does not correct the problem.

Ted Belben

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually that is a correct fix; either that or deleting or moving the folder off the c:\drive.

This is a well known bug. Is there anything in the folder that needs to be preserved?

3. Ted Belben

Ted Belben Thread Starter

I have an executable with several .dll's. A thorough search of the registry indicates the program is not regisered. One other note, this folder was created automatically when I installed the program. It looks like a stand alone program which seams to work fine after all files have been relocated to another path.

Thanks for your help.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's a long standing bug in just about every version of Windows that I know of which involves the processing the folder name "program" when the folder is in c:\

Since the executable is not registered you should be able to run it without issue with the renamed or moved folder. You will, however have to correct any shortcuts to it.

You're welcome for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice