1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}FPD1500 won't work on XP (yet)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jklmengland, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jklmengland

jklmengland Thread Starter

Christmas gift for the kid was a Microsoft game (Age of mythology). So, we add some memory to the PC, and he cons me into buying a new hard drive. All is well on WIN 98SE but I get the bug to try my dad's copy of XP. Loads great on the new hard drive. Of course I need to activate it, so I relent and buy my upgrade copy. After hours of trying to figure out what is up, I find how to load (hitting F8 for safe start up) in VGA mode.

Now I find that while the test copy I loaded defaulted some settings for my Nvidia RIVA TNT2/TNT2 PRO (16 MB) driving the plug and play monitor (Gateway FPD 1500). The searches yield the fact that no XP verified drivers exist for the FPD1500. So why could it work when I was testing a copy, but now, I can only use it in VGA mode?

I am hoping someone knows the right settings to use, or drivers to select for this gateway essentials combination. Gateway quickly indicated I needed a new graphics card, but since I saw it work once, then went legal with my own purchased upgrade....

2. brianF

brianF

confusing, have you installed the latest drivers for your video card from http://www.nvidia.com/ I would thing the monitor would use standard plug and play drivers.

3. jklmengland

Yes it is confusing indeed. The XP disk with a new gateway (my Dad's) loaded the plug and play driver fine and the screen res was fine in all ranges. My legal copy product key did not work with Microsoft to "activate" so I went to the trouble of formatting, and trying it clean from the new upgrade disk. (Of course it did ask for my Win 98 disk at one point which seemed to satisfy things.) Ever since, The driver's for the Nvidia card/monitor combo don't seem to work above VGA range.

I researched the drivers and can't find one on nvidia that says it is XP certified, yet the XP upgrade disk loaded Microsoft certified drivers automatically. XP automatically opted for the plug and play monitor version rather than the Gateway driver. On Gateway the drivers aren't listed for XP, but up to previous versions. The monitor was built by Advanced Logic Research Inc around the time Gateway bought them out. No website has been found from ALR for alternate drivers. Besides the plug andplay option worked on 98 and on the copy of XP so I am at a loss.

Other than the time involved, I am thinking about reformating and installing XP from the OEM disk (my Dad's) and if it works, calling Microsoft tech support for activation even if it means faxing them my store reciept, box UPC code and the product key. My only other reasonable path is to encourage the teenager to get a job and buy his own PC. (some value in that lesson I am sure)

Any thoughts or ideas on the video/monitor combo would be appreciated.

4. jklmengland

After a few more attempts, I went back and loaded XP from another OEM disk (my dad's again) and got the monitor to work fine. So as best I can tell my version of Nvidia drivers is the issue.
    Here is what I know.
    Driver version 2.9.5.8 date 7/2/2001 does not work. This was on the XP upgrade disk I purchased.

Driver version 5.01.2001.1240 date 7/1/2001 on the OEM XP disk (my dad's) does work and works very well.

Download version from nvidia version 41.09 zip file extracted a set (I don't have it written down yet) but the zip file version name doesn't look the same. Gateway driver site doesn't even show an XP driver version.

After all this, I know it can work, I just need to find the driver to copy and archive for future use if needed. (or to install by my upgrade disk then switch drivers for clean operation.)

Help me find the driver archive of 5.01.2001.1240 I can't seem to find it without downloading all the nvidia archives (but those zips don't go back beyond 2002 on their website). I am confident this will resolve my issue based on what I have seen.

5. jklmengland

After many hours research and on the phone with Microsoft, I stumbled upon the easiest fix. I went ahead and installed from the gateway website, the driver for my card listed as ready for WIN2K (since there wasn't one for Win XP). Microsoft tech help suggested this and it wasn't the same driver as on my dad's Gateway system CD, but it did work.
    I had to install while ignoring the XP system telling me it wasn't digitally signed and it wasn't right for my system.(according to the rules that cause that dialogue box to appear).

Hope this helps someone avoid the hassles if they have an early generation Flat panel in a Gateway. The Video card while it is an Nvidia chip set, was manufactured by Wallace. I could find no Wallace company on the web to confirm this, nor any indication on the printed circuit board itself. Sigh.....

Moderators, please close this thread.

6. brianF

brianF

Glad you got it working but I would be 99.99% sure that the driver you downloaded from nvidia would have installed and worked just fine.
    Up until the gforceFX comes out nvidia does not make cards in house as they just supply the chip to oem manufacturers. Never heard of Wallace but I have never seen an nvidia card manufacturer by nvidia either.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice