1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Freezing Up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cheryl, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

We are using Windows 98 / Internet Explorer / Outlook Express. Just recently we have noticed freezing up on desk top, outlook express, playing solitaire, and trying to shut down. What is causing this?

When we hit Ctl/Alt/Dlt - it said something was running in the background, but nothing was on the task bar below. It asked for shut down or end task. After clicking on end task (we were finally allowed to use our pointer) absolutely nothing happened after waiting for awhile. So then we went to start to close down and then it froze again.

Then went back to Ctl/Alt/Dlt - and it unfroze and then it started it's shutdown process and then froze halfway through it so the only way we could shut down was to manually shut it off.

How can I rectify this problem? Please help!!!!

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I was checking other threads - and decided I should tell you what I have on start-up. You answered me so soon I didn't have time to try what you recommended. Here is my list

MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe /background
    AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    TimeSink Ad Client Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\TimeSink\AdGateway\TSADBOT.EXE"
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    MCAgentExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\program files\mcafee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
    MCUpdateExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\program files\mcafee.com\Agent\mcupdate.exe /embedding
    mgavrtclexe Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\MCBin\AV\Rt\mgavrtcl.exe
    Encompass_ENCMONTR Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Easy Internet\ENCMONTR.EXE
    mgavrtclexe Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\MCBin\AV\Rt\mgavrte.exe

4. beach51

beach51

Hi Cheryl,you have a nasty piece of spyware on your computer called Timesink.First thing to do is go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig,click ok,click on startup tab>take the check mark out next to timesink,click apply then ok,let the computer re-boot.Next go to add and remove programs in control panel and remove it there.Reboot.Next go and download a program called Ad-aware5.6(its free)This will scan your computer for any other spyware that you might have.When you download the program,also dowaload the ref file while your there.

Let us know how you make out

5. beach51

beach51

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I will do what you instructed. Thanks so much! But I'm curious - what is spyware and how did it get on my laptop?

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Beach, LavaSoft's USA site has been up and down the last few days. Here's a European link that appears to be still working.

http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/

Click on the Yellow folder next to “Ad-aware 5.6 Final” to download AAW.exe. Once you've downloaded it, double left click on it to install it. Then look for the AdAware folder in Start>Programs and execute the program. Once it launches, on the Left side of the screen, be sure to select ScanRegistry(DeepScan), ScanMemory and Scan Fixed C: Drive from the directory tree on the Left side and then click on “Scan”. When it's done scanning, click on Continue and then select everything it lists and continue on to delete and clean it up.

8. beach51

beach51

Hi Cheryl,heres a link for you to go to.It will explain what spyware is and how you get it on your computer,and also the removeal instructions.

www.cexx.org

Let us know how you make out .

9. beach51

beach51

Hi Bryan,thanks for the info.I saw it was down yesterday,throught maybe it was up today.Will keep using this link you posted until lavasoftusa is up again.Thanks for explaining to Cheryl how to use Adaware.

10. beach51

beach51

Hi Cheryl,just did some checking and it seems like your going to have to do some more work to get rid of timesink(Tsadbot),altogether.Go to this site and read about this trojan horse.

http://cexx.org/tsadkill.htm

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I went into msconfig. and unchecked the box like you said. Then I rebooted. I then went into control panel - add/remove and it was not there to uninstall. I went back into msconfig and it had remained unchecked.

Why wouldn't it be in the control panel - add/remove?

12. beach51

beach51

Cherly,sometimes there not in add and remove programs,i always add that just to make sure.Did you follow up with what that page said to do?Does the computer seem more stable now that you stoped it from startup?

13. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Beach, don't mean to jump in here but I'm pretty sure AdAware removes Tsadbot for you. And if I'm not mistaken, it will also get rid of the pieces of Tsadbot as that article suggested you do. Just removing it from Startup will leave the stuff behind which isn't the end of the world but I'd suggest running AdAware to clean it up. Has she run AdAware yet?

Also, Tsadbot won't be listed under Add/RemovePrograms. It's installed as part of other free software. She may have gotten it with AIM which appears to have been downloaded from CNET rather than directly from AOL, but that's just a guess. Good luck ....

14. beach51

beach51

Hi Bryan,thanks again for the info.I wasnt sure if Ad-aware would remove all the stuff tsadbot leaves behind.Thats good to know that it does,makes it alot easier.I agree,thats probably where she got it from.As far as knowing if she download and ran ad-aware am not sure am waiting for a replyThanks again for your help and information Bryan,its much appreciated.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

:D You guys are FANTASTIC. I got up early this morning and downloaded and installed Ad-ware. It detected 31 files/programs and I deleted all of them. When I continued it left behind one and after restarting I went back and deleted the remaining one. It was labeled "comet", etc.

It did take it off. Thanks so much for all your help. I worked on computers for 20+ years at GE - and I just sat down and worked on it. I was never responsible for the "maintenance" of the machine.

I sure am learning a lot from you guys and girls and I never knew there was so much "maintenance" to keep the machine operating correctly.

THANKS AGAIN and you all have a wonderful day!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice