1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] frequent freezing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by crashcassady, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crashcassady

crashcassady Thread Starter

My IBM think pad gets frozen everytime I'm online- first it freezes, then I get a message that says I have lost my internet connection, then I have to manually restart the thing. There is also very slow loading of web pages, even for a dial-up connection. Please help or I will introduce the laptop to the fury of a hammer! Thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's see if we can find any obvious software reasons for the problem. Give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

I would also recommend installing and updating Spybot, but wait till your Scanlog has been reviewed before actually running it. There may be some advisable preliminaries.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index1.html

Also what kind of a speed are you getting for your dial-up connection? Hold the mouse pointer over the connection icon in the System tray to see.

Do you have another computer that uses the same ISP dialup connection and number? If so, does it have the same problems?

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

You could start by giving it a good cleanup

Delete your temporary internet files, temp files and history

THEN

Download and install SpyBot,

http://security.kolla.de/

click the online tab to search for and download the updates, then shut down and relaunch SpyBot.

Go to the Settings tab > File Sets, and uncheck 'System Internals' and 'Tracks' .
    These aren't needed for our present purpose, and you can always experiment with them later on.

Finally, after closing down Internet Explorer, click 'Check for problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds 'Fix selected problems'

you may have to run spybot more than once to clear everything

Remove everything pre-ticked in Red

THEN

Please Download hijackthis from

http://tomcoyote.org/hjt

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

4. crashcassady

Thanks to both of you for such a quick reply- unfortunately the thinkpad is so screwed up that I am using my parent's computer at their house to write this! No , there are no other computers hooked up in my place along with the thinkpad. I will print your instructions and get back to you later with what happened. Thanks again!

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You haven't told us what Windows version it is. If WinME you can use System Restore to go back to an earlier date which will replace both altered files and registry entries.

If Win98 you can boot to a command prompt (ctrl key on startup, boot menu, command prompt) and enter: scanreg /restore

you have about 4 viable restore dates there to choose from. If the problem is older than 4 or 5 days and the system has been booting, you will not have restore dates which precede the problem though.

You CAN try running msconfig and temporarily clearing the check for the Startup group. This might allow you to access the internet and download and update Spybot.

However HijackThis will not see the startup programs as long as they are disabled through msconfig.

You can also try running an online scan at one of these locations:

HouseCall
    Panda
    RAV AntiVirus Online

6. crashcassady

Hi-
    Its WinMe. But what's System Restore? I apologize for my comp. illiteracy.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the System Restore utility is working properly it automatically logs restore points, usually one a day, which can go back weeks or even months, depending on how much hard drive space is available to it.

These archives contain all required System Files, including installed programs and the registry. In other words it simply returns the system to its configuration on a prior date.

So if you launch System Restore and have dates that precede the time when these problems began, you can return to that time. Any changes or installs subsequent to that will be reversed.

The easy way to launch System Restore is to run msconfig and click the "launch System Restore" Tab there.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q267/9/51.asp&NoWebContent=1

8. crashcassady

Here it is: Also, I am now using the "selective start-up". Thanks in advance.
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 10:45:04 PM, on 10/4/2003
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 7.0A\WAOL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\8HQ3W9YB\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sprintsite.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sprintsite.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms &] - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms &[ - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu &4 - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: RoboForm (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RF Toolbar &2 (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms &] (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Save (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms &[ (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sprintsite.com/
    O16 - DPF: Talk City EZTalk 3.0 - http://chat.talkcity.com/java/ezmed/ezmed.cab
    O16 - DPF: {34805D32-AD89-469E-8503-A5666AEE4333} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.82.221.103/283cd3da3aca0f66f023/netzip/RdxIE.cab

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is nothing there that would indicate a source of freezing. However whatever you have UNchecked in "selective" startup would not be visible in the Scanlog.

Is it still freezing in this configuration?

10. crashcassady

NO, it has stopped freezing! So far all is well. Can I ask another question- what would increasing my memory do for me? Load pages faster? What are the advantages?
    Thanks for your help.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Quite a bit. Pages will load faster (particularly after you have been online a while, or are using a second browser), you will see considerably less hard drive "thrashing" as Virtual memory (that on the hard drive itself) will not be used as a substitute. Fewer invalid page faults, even faster, more stable shutdowns.

Keep in mind now, what ever antivirus or firewall support you may have unchecked in msconfig is not currently active, so you should be looking to re-enable that as soon as possible to either rule it in or out of the problem. Also if there are viral, ad or spyware problems that need to be cleaned off the system we don't know what they are until you either run programs like Spybot or Antivirus apps to scan the system.

If you want to temporarily re-enable what has been unchecked and post another scanlog we can have a look. You can then just go back to the present config, or continue testing by selectively re-enabling what has been disabled to see if you can isolate the problem

12. crashcassady

Here we go- I went back and checked what I had unchecked.

heLogfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 1:01:33 PM, on 10/5/2003
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\MM_TRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\THINKPAD\EASY LAUNCH BUTTONS\TPHKMGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\LTSMMSG.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DAEMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SMCTRLW.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIBER SYSTEMS\AI ROBOFORM\ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 7.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 7.0A\WAOL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\8HQ3W9YB\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sprintsite.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sprintsite.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\EASYLA~1\TPHKMGR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTSMMSG] LTSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrackPointSrv] daemon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Control Panel] smctrlw.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
    O4 - Startup: America Online 7.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0a\aoltray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms &] - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms &[ - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu &4 - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: RoboForm (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RF Toolbar &2 (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms &] (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Save (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms &[ (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sprintsite.com/

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't see any "malware" there, so it may be a case of basic resource overload.

Here is a site you can use to gather information on what those executables are and decide if you really want or need them starting:

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

Also in addition to Scanregistry and Systray you will want to leave
    StateMgr.exe enabled.

If you do not, System Restore, an invaluable feature in my opinion, will not be creating new restore points and you will not be able to restore old ones if necessary.

14. crashcassady

Thanks so mcuh for all your help-I am up and running and reviewed the executions and checked accordingly. Do you recommend buying memory from crucial?

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

For online buying Crucial seems to be one of the most respected sites, so I wouldn't worry. People have always reported helpful service and returns if necessary.

You're certainly welcome for the help. I'll put a "resolved" on this unless you holler.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice