1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] frozen internet explorer page

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by turner, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turner

turner Thread Starter

Recently whenever I have been moving from one site to another on the net, the site I was moving to would "half open." I would have a white blank page. Is that whats known as a hanging screen?
    Anyway, the new site would freeze and so would everything else, which meant restarting the pc and the long process of a scandisc before re-opening.
    I have now discovered that I can manually override this problem by pressing alt,ctrl, delete. This overides the freeze and the site opens fully. It appears not to be any specific site as far as I can tell and does not now occur everytime I move from one site to the next. However it remains very frustrating and time consumming
    Any good advice, will be greatfully received.
    turner

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi turner, go here and download Hijack This:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

...follow the instructions for scaning your system and then post the log here in your post. Don't remove anything yourself. Folks can take a look at what's on your system and see if there's some bad guys in there.

:)

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You say you can "unfreeze" it by doing a ctrl-alt-del, does that mean you don't even have to terminate the frozen process or browser window?

Have you cleared out your temporary Internet Cache?

Also, I noticed in your previous thread... http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167687

that you have Norton Internet Security. I would try disabling that temporarily for testing. You can do this best by unchecking the startup entries for it in msconfig > startups

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...bb965ab1a444adc3c1256b9c003d7fc2?OpenDocument

You are on AOL > DSL, yes?

4. turner

turner Thread Starter

To buckaroo and rollin'rog,
    first to buckaroo here is my most recent log for your evaluation
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 21:00:46, on 28/09/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISSERV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\SYMPROXYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ROXIO\EASY CD CREATOR 5\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\IAMAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRINTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ERASER\ERASER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 8.0\WAOL.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 8.0\SHELLMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL COMPANION\COMPANION.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.aol.co.uk/
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexmarkPrinTray] PrinTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eraser] C:\PROGRAM FILES\ERASER\ERASER.EXE -hide
    O4 - Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Startup: AOL 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Disconnect Telebizz Connection (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Disconnect Telebizz Connection (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37854.4969212963
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

and to Rollin'log,
    your description of what I am currently having to do to unfreeze the website page I want to view is correct. I press alt-ctrl-del when it freezes on a white page of the new site I am visiting and somehow it then opens up fully. I discovered this as I was attempting to shut down IE, to reboot explorer.
    In fact when I went to read the article you suggested I read it happened exactly as I have described to you previously. I am finding the article a bit heavy for a light weight pc user but I will ask if I get stuck,
    and finally,
    Yes I am on aol, I don't know what dsl stands for (went to ask Jeves and it says it a modem connection)
    Oh! it can be so embarrasing being dim but thanks for the education,
    many thanks,
    turner
    Ps my subscription to NAV has run out, could this have any bearing on my current predicament. I am going to upgrade, should I sort the problem first then upgrade?

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

turner

The log looks clean to me. I don't know if you need this entry in your start up folder:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook

Do you have multiple monitors?

"This is a DLL to enable multiple display monitors on a single computer. It can be a cause of numerous problems on some computers."

Also, since your NAV subscription has lapsed, always a good idea to have an online scanner available:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

If you want some free available AV options, check out his site:

http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

DSL (Digitial Subscriber Link) is a broadband (highspeed) connection that does not use a dial-up adapter.

I thought you would be using AOL's DSL (fairly new I believe) because I saw this item in the Scanlog:

I don't think the issue has anything to do with Norton Internet Security being out of date.

AOL is a relatively safe internet provider which is a firewall of itself of sorts, so it might not be too much of a risk to disable NIS for testing.

7. turner

turner Thread Starter

To buckaroo,
    no I don't have multiple monitors. (Sometimes after a few beers I appear to.)
    Would you suggest I remove O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
    from the registry? I have no intention of having more than one and you did say it could be a problem.
    I will take your advice and look at the sites for AV cover, meanwhile I will disable NIS and read article as directed by Rollin'Rog. Will report back asap
    Thanks again for your support,
    turner

8. buckaroo

buckaroo

turner, yes I would recommend removing that entry. You can do that via HJT.

Start HJT, check that entry in HJT, click Fix and then reboot. That should take care of it.

Also, here's a good site for helping you to keep a handle on those applications that load on bootup:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

(y)

9. turner

turner Thread Starter

To buckaroo,
    Sorry about this but could you look at this HJT log and advise please. the home page is gone again. I know that HJT is saving the correct pages I want but I am not clever enough to know what to check. A member of my family (who shall remain nameless), has been messing around, which has begun to explain the source of some of my problems if not a cure.
    Scan saved at 00:27:09, on 03/10/03

Running processes:
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = %START_PAGE_URL%
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = %START_PAGE_URL%
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\windows\system32\blank.htm
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37854.4969212963
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

I also wanted to go back to my origional problem of my frozen IE page. I said I could release it and continue on without rebooting my pc by pressing alt-ctrl-del. What I have also observed is that in the process of freeing this freeze up, several icons on the start up task bar disappear when I carry out this action and don't return until the pc is restarted.
    I have reinstalled a new IE explorer programme but this has made no difference. Can you suggest any further remedies I can try to resolve this problem please?
    thank you,
    turner

10. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi turner, you can have HJT remove these new entries:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about :blank
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = %START_PAGE_URL%
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about :blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about :blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about :blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about :blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about :blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = %START_PAGE_URL%
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\windows\system32\blank.htm

Reboot

Then download Spybot:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

...after installing, have it go on line and download all updates, then have it check your system for any problems. Everything it finds in RED is safe to fix.

11. turner

turner Thread Starter

To buckaroo
    I carried out your instructions and all went well until I pressed my Reset Web Settings option and the problem reoccured of the homepage being changed to main default =%Start page_url%.
    I went to HJT and asked for information on the 014-IERESET.INF:START_PAGE_URL= It says "when you hit reset web settings on the programme tabs of the MSIE options dialog your home page,search page and other sites get reset to their defaults.
    Those defaults are stored in C:\Windows\Inf\lerest.inf. When a highjacker changes these to his ownURLs, you get (re)infected rather than cured when you click reset web settings SearchALot uses this hjack."
    What should I do? please
    turner
    This is the latest HJT log
    Scan saved at 20:51:11, on 03/10/03

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX

12. buckaroo

buckaroo

13. turner

turner Thread Starter

to buckaroo,
    Here is a copy of the shredder log
    Done!
    - 0 registry values were killed
    - Hostsfile was OK
    - Bootconf.exe was not present
    - Trusted Zone was OK
    - User stylesheet was OK
    - Oemsyspnp.inf was not present
    - Svchost32.exe was not present
    - Msspi.dll Winsock hook was not present
    - Msinfo.exe was not present
    - Winshow.dll BHO was not present
    - MadFinder BHO was not present
    - Ctfmon32.exe was not present

Windows 98 (4.10.2222 A)
    CWShredder v1.21.1
    Written by Merijn - [email protected]
    turner

14. buckaroo

buckaroo

Okay, well that didn't turn up anything. I would take out the 014 entry with HJT and as far as setting your home page, just go to the page you want and set that as your current home page.

15. turner

turner Thread Starter

to buckaroo,
    while I was waiting for advice I browsed my register and under Search URL I found these
    abs " +"
    ab# "%23"
    ab& "%26"
    ab? "%3F"
    ab+ "%2b"
    ab= "%3d"
    abprovider ""
    I don't recall seeing them before the troulble started, could they be connected?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice