1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] frustrated {install problems}

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gilbert01, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

I am trying to format a Hp 4533 with AMD k6 and 64 mb ram. I don't have restoration cd and I am trying a complete install of 98se. I have fdisk the partition and I have formatted the C: drive twice. I get to the windows setup and go through the steps to set it up and it locks up on me before I even get done with the process. It's like I am pushing on the gas and going nowhere. I had this happen once before with a compaq and had to copy files from the restoration cd and then install because everytime I went to install it would lock up on me I have limited all resources at the moment and don't know what else to do please help.

Thankyou,
    Gilbert

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

Do I have to have the restore disk to perform this task. It seems that all hp and compaq's you can't do anything without the restore disk.

Thank you,
    G-DOG

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are talking about copying WinSE cab files to the hard drive, you should be able to do it after your fdisk and format. Just start with your boot disk and note the drive letter assigned the cd-rom. It will probably be 'e'

If you are talking about the acpi problem, I'm not sure what to tell you about that, a BIOS flash may be needed and I have no experience in giving such advice. However if you know how to access the BIOS (try pressing the DEL key immediatelly at Boot), you can try setting ACPI to disabled or 'No'. In BIOS setup look for a Power Management setup page.

By the way, you should also make sure that antivirus protection is turned off in the BIOS, this could be a source of problems.

5. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

Plus when you hit control alt delete and try to reboot it will reboot but the video card won't kick in. You have to manually shut down the pc competely before the video card will kick in.

G-DOG

6. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

I placed the copy d:\win98\options\*.* c:\windows\cabs\*.* and keep getting message file not found. Am I entering something incorrectly. Is the drive specification incorrrect or am I just a bit dummy...lol Thankyou for all your help you have been great.

G-DOG

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The drive specification may be incorrect. When you booted with the startup disk the normal drive letter that gets assigned your cd-rom drive gets bumped up one. Bryan may have overlooked that when he gave those directions.

Watch the screen when you boot your startup disk and select cd-rom support. The cd-rom drive will probably be assigned the letter 'e'. So the command would be:

copy e:\win98\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.*

you can see what is on the the cd by entering

dir e:\

or dir d:\

(which ever is correct) and see whether there is a "win98" folder there.

8. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

well I finally got the cab files transfered. I was getting ready to run the setup for windows and as soon as the screen come up I got an error message saying:

Seneral Protection Fault
    in module user.exe at
    0001:7317

Then as soon as I touched the mouse it went it to the black ms dos screen and give a new message saying:

Bad fault in ms dos extender

severely confused,
    G-DOG

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that's not a nice one. There is an MS page for it that probably won't be of much use to you, but here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q87239

The most likely causes of the error in my opinion would be either a ram fault or processor (cpu) instability.

This latter can arise from either overheating or in some cases overclocking.

Considering that you have an AMD k6/2 my primary suspicion would be overheating. They are notorious for it.

You may need to open the case and and try putting a fan on it to see if that helps. If you have more than one stick of ram in there, you can try swapping out one at a time.

You can also try entering the BIOS setup and disabling L2 (external cache) during the setup. This has the effect of "underclocking" it. Slows things down, but if you complete setup, you can go back and re-enable it.

You might also try wiping the drive again, creating a new windows directory and recopying those files.

10. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

I noticed when removing the cover the fan on top of the processor is not moving at all and it was extremely dirty if I replace the fan do u think I could det this thing back to working again. Or is the processor shot. Or is the whole motherboeard shot.

Thanks A Great Deal !!!!
    G-DOG

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Definitely replace the fan and give it a shot. A lot of folks like to install bigger heat sinks on those AMD's as well; but I'd start with the fan and a good cleaning and see what happens.

I don't think the motherboard's gone or you wouldn't have gotten as far as you did.

12. Gilbert01

Gilbert01 Thread Starter

Well I want really thank every one on the site for all the help. I took everything out of the pc and sprayed and cleaned everything real well and got the fan back to working and was able to install windows. I am working on starting to find the drvers now. Thank you for all your help.

HAPPY PERSON NOW,
    G-DOG

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice