1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Game port drivers not configured properly

Discussion in 'Games' started by schmidt, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

I have a microsoft sidewinder Pecision 2 joystick and when I tried to add it in the add game controller I get a missing gameport or gamer port driver not properly configured. Please consult your device manager. So I went to the device manager and it says the device is working properly. The thing that is weird is I used it the other day and worked fine now it is missing and I cant get it back.
    I'm using windows xp as my operating system.

2. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

I also went to the microsoft site and dl the newest driver and it wont install it says Error crating process <setup\_SETUP.EXE>. Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.
    and Im not sure if that means it all didnt dl or what I'm feeling pretty stupid at this point.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

3. RT

RT

Hi schmidt

Does that stick use a USB connection?

4. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

Yes it is a usb & all the usb devices are working properly according to the device manager.

5. RT

RT

I would try completely removing the device and it's software, then reinstalling using the Sidewinder CD-ROM that came with it. Microsoft wants you to use the install disk for proper operation, instead of trying to set it up through Control Panel.

You might want to try a different USB port, too.

6. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

Thanks RT I think it is just this computer cause I can install and use it on the other 2 computers now with the original cd. And I found that I am having a problem with this computer with trying to install a game that installed fine into the other computers so it looks like I will just do a full restore on this computer maybe even format the drive and then do the restore so that it is a fresh drive. Thanks for your help and info.

7. RT

RT

No problem, schmidt, hope you get it sorted out.

BOL

8. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

RT well it is all working great now. I hated to do it but the computer needed a cleaning out anyway so I formatted it and reinstalled xp and that fixed the problem. Thanks

9. RT

RT

Fantastic, Glad to hear it!

There's nothing like a fresh clean (empty) drive. (Now the fun part begins, eh? ;) )

don't know why you're thanking me, you did all the work!:)

Thanks for posting back.

BOL

10. Fixitorelse

Fixitorelse

Alright....well I have the same problem, only...I'm a tech guy...errr
    well not the webs sites tech guy...but...you know. Is there a way to fix this problem without a format, I did a bit of research and a similar problem occurs with Win2000, I am using win98. I tried replacing the gameenum.sys file from the win98 cabinet files but I still had no luck there. Really ticking me off, it had a billion pieces of spyware and 3 viruses...trojans to be more precise.
    Well, thanks!
    7/11/03

:mad: is the (y) of life

11. Fixitorelse

Fixitorelse

Also, its a gameport device, not USB...its really old...ya....REALLY REALLY OLD...

OLD
    .......can I stress it enough?

:mad: is the (y) of life

12. yahya_jam

yahya_jam

13. yahya_jam

yahya_jam

i have a gameport or gameport drivers missing message

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice