1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Graphics and other Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by madrabbit, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madrabbit

madrabbit Thread Starter

I'm having a few different problems. I'll mention them in a single post in case they're all related.

The biggest problem I'm having is with all of my games. The graphics will flicker for a few seconds in different areas of the screen just before the game freezes, and the entire screen becomes completely filled with small flickering green and white 'noise'. All I can do at that point is reset the computer. This only happens when I attempt to play games.

The other problems are DVD Workshop crashing to the desktop whenever I attempt to load an mpeg2 file, and Pristine Sounds producing the message "Com could not be initialized" when I attempt to launch it.

Everything worked just fine up until a week ago and I haven't made any changes to my system other than upgrading DirectX to version 9b. Reformatting and reinstalling Windows 98 SE did not help.

The only other 'fix' I attempted was uninstalling DirectX 9 with DirectX Buster and installing v8. That didn't help either.

Any suggestions?

Pentium III 1.1Ghz
    128mb Ram
    NVidia GeForce 2
    Windows 98 SE

2. SusiQusi

SusiQusi

hmmmm I remember reading somewhere that some games now require minimum 256mb RAM, I know graphics take a lot of RAM to be displayed because since I got another computer after mine died a year ago....... I cant run the graphics programs I used to because I dont have enough memory...........am wondering if you have done a driver update? you didnt say......or a window's update.......also wondering if you are running anything else...........when you play games or use your dvd......have you ran a virus scan??? defrag??? scan disk???? could be motherboard age......Im no expert but it sounds like for some reasaon you are running out of resources.......

3. madrabbit

madrabbit Thread Starter

Yes. I made sure to install all of the latest drivers. I also installed all of the Windows updates right after I reinstalled Windows.

I don't think it could be a memory problem. The games I play don't use a lot of resources and I've been playing them for months before these problems appeared.

4. SusiQusi

SusiQusi

ok then my only other suggestion is to check your motherboard and hard drive, not sure how old they are.......hopefully some others know more :)

5. madrabbit

madrabbit Thread Starter

I just went ahead and bought a new graphics card. That did the trick.

6. SusiQusi

SusiQusi

k mad that was gonna be my next suggestion.....asked a friend today, they said that it might need replacing :) glad it's fixed

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice