1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Hard Drice upgrade probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LooneyTunes, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes Thread Starter

Hi!

OK, first details.
    When I upgraded my motherboard just under 2 years ago, I found out sometime after that my floppy drive controller is faulty; in other words I cannot write or read large files to floppy. Not so much of a problem untill you come to bootup using a floppy disk (for formats etc) where I get an I/O error.

In the past, to format my drive I've always painstakingly ut back my old motherboard, booted up with floppy and formatted - then replaced my newer motherboard after Windows installations complete and begins it's booting sequences. All worked ok and fine :)
    That was with a 4GB hard drive :(

I bought a new 40GB hard drive with the hopes of using my 4GB solely for OP system and the slave drive for programes and files etc (40GB).
    Problem:
    BIOS detects my new hard drive as a primary slave 40GB but it is no where to be seen in Windows. :(

I figured it might need formatting first, so I swopped motherboards. Sadly, my older 200Mhz Pentium m/b doesn't seem to want to get the size correct (8,000MB max it see's it as) so I can't format the drive correctly or lay an partitions. I'm back with my newer m/b and even tried the floppy boot up disk - still error.

Question: Is there ANYWAY to force Windows to see my drive and format from Windows. If not, is there any other way from Windows I can access true DOS without re-booting.

Thanks for any help and advice. :)

2. LooneyTunes

Sorry, forgot system specs:

Current:
    500mhz
    128MB RAM
    4GB HD Quantum
    Win98

New HD: 40GB Matox

3. LooneyTunes

Sorry - problem fixed. Someone explained that you could use MSDOS in Windows - worked fine :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice