1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Have I been bugged ?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by wrisky, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrisky

wrisky Thread Starter

I opened IE and tried opening a page from my favotites folder and was directed to a page with this on it.....
    Diese Seite kann nicht angezeigt werden,
    da diese auf diesem Server nicht existent ist.
    Bitte gehen Sie auf die Startseite zurück:
    www.twoplustwo.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hosted by
    http://www.domainname.at

www.twoplustwo.com is the link from my favorites folder but the rest is pure BS.Also other links force me into some traceroute page from MIT!
    The german site is some domain hosting site that I have never seen before .
    I cleaned out all the temp files and cookies from IE but that didn't help.......
    Any suggestions as to how I can remove this web malignancy ?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    First clear your History. In IE click on Tools>InternetOptions>Clear History. Now get to your Favorites folder in IE and Right click on the Favorite and select Delete to delete that favorite that's going to the wrong page. Then manually enter the URL into the browser window and goto the site. Does it goto the correct site? If so, readd it to the Favorites.

If that does no good, check for the existance of a Hosts file.

Start>Find>Files, key in Hosts and press enter. Click on View>Details. Your looking for a file called just Hosts with no extension on the end of the file name. Your going to find files named Hosts.sam and imhost.sam but they aren't what your looking for. Your looking for a file just named Hosts. Do you find one? If so, close all instances of IE. Then Right click on the Hosts file and rename it Hosts.old

Now start IE and try that site.

3. wrisky

wrisky Thread Starter

I did what you said and it didn't make any difference .....

4. wrisky

wrisky Thread Starter

I looked again and there was a second "hosts" file.I did what you said and the problem disappeared!
    Thank you very much, for awhile there I was one hot sucker....
    Can anyone tell me where that file came from ?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The Hosts file is often used by web accelerators, ad and spy blocker programs to link Domain Names with IPs (Internet addresses). This can be useful for faster Domain Name resolution, or for identifying and blocking or filtering problem sites.

Hard to say what the issue was in your case, but the Domain Names and the original IPs probably no longer correlated so you got taken to a different address.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And it could also be used maliciously if someone puts common website names like for example, www.yahoo.com in there with an IP address that points to other sites that they are interested in directing you to. If you were to try to get to Yahoo, it would look to the Hosts file first to resolve to the IP, find the entry and then take you to whatever site IP they entered into your Hosts file. Actually I'm surprised that people up to no good don't do more manipulating of Hosts files. It's such an easy way to mess things up until someone figures out it's the Hosts file causing it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice