1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Help Gremlin is awake win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ladynimue, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi Dave
    you said to let you know when it happened,well every other day it does.
    1. if I turn computer on and leave it alone it crashes

2. when screen saver is on it has pauses, not very long just a second or so but should not be there

3.when deleting a line of text manually without blanking out it has pauses, just a second or so

4 can only get back on if I restore registry, today there was only one good registry others said not started.

does any of that help you to see my problem? I am realy fed up with this I spend hours just trying to get it to stay on long enough to do registry and I know it will be the same tomorrow.
    It will stay alright now as long as I am using it but tomorrow it will forget it was working.

Ladynimue

2. ddriver

ddriver

Could you tell us something about your computer?

3. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

HI
    If you go to post called system restore win 98 because......you will be able to read all my problems
    Sorry I started a new thread but thought it was resolved.(Didnt realy,knew it was just sleeping) the Post may be from last week,
    please tell me what you think

Ladynimue

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

For review this is the Thread with symptoms related to what is happening now.

ladynimue
    Your statement of only having one good registry to work with because the rest indicate a bad start could be a signal of serious trouble again. My fear now is that we have an event starting to occur that could be catastrophic so I would suggest taking precautions to back up all your personal data just in case.
    I go back to my original intuition and suspect the RAM but again there are other items such as hard drive or MB that also could be having problems.
    Before anymore stress is put on your computer please back up your personal items onto CD or another computer if possible.

Some items we could try is Scandisk through, and DocMemory but again not until your data is safe.

Dave

5. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

HI
    Due to current problems most things have been stored off computer, the only things I really want are some photographs, there lies the problem now that I am up and running do I dare try downloading them onto disk or will it cause a crash as this is where first instance happened. Maybe I had better print the ones I want ,because if it goes off I dont think I can get back on unless it has ran long enough to give a good registry if I need it. Will there be a good registry backed up now ? it has been running for 3 1/2 hours with no problems

Ladynimue

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ladynimue
    Just a thought.
    You mentioned you have other computers in the home. You may consider networking to one and through file share copy pictures over. That is of course the unit stays up long enough to let you do it.
    Also you can manually for a registry to be created if the one at startup is failing. You can do this before you attempt a burn.
    Step 1- Start\Run, type in scanregw and hit enter
    Step 2- Ignore the message that a backup already exists for today and let it create a new backup
    Note: That creates a Rbxxx.cab backup file that you can restore back from using scanreg /restore

Dave

7. mtbird

mtbird

Just a suggestion......
    Have you thought about using an online photo storage site for now ? You could upload all that you want to save and then retrieve them later. Here is one in particular.....

http://www.imagestation.com/

I would also try Davey's suggestion about a running a memory test. It sounds very much like your memory is bad. Here is one that I use quite often.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

Be sure to read the directions before starting the test.

Debe

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Good idea Debe Thanks!

Dave

9. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

HI
    I have downloaded the memory test but do not want to leave it running overnight due to crash problem. will run it all day tomorrow when I can keep an eye on it . That is if computer comes on . Have been using it now for over 4 hours with no problems, went ahead and used nero downloaded all photos to disk, have used photshop, and explorer all at once with no problems but by tomorrow it probably wont come on. I will let you know what is happening

thanks for all help

Ladynimue

10. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hello
    I ran memory check this morning, stopped it when I reached fault number 9 which said faulty RAM replace. Tried taking 32 bit card out, no difference, took 251 ? card out, no difference. decided it was niether at fault. Took CDRW physically from computer......no problems now. Ran memory check .........no faults.Screen saver has no pauses. I have taken CDRW back to shop where he is going to test it, although he is conviced that it is all coincidence.Ran REGCLEAN ..........ran system file checker..ok looked for conflict...none. I did this with CDRW in then out,
    now it all seems ok except I have no CDRW at present Please tell me what you think

Ladynimue

11. mtbird

mtbird

I would say it's more likely the cable than the drive itself. Try replacing the cable and see if there is any difference. Be sure that the drive is jumpered to master on the secondary IDE.

Debe

12. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

HI
    when I get CDRW back, as I have no doubt I will.I will check cable ect, probably wont be until friday as shop said he was busy, I dont know if that would give the error message every time I used it 'there has been a possible write error do you want to continue anyway' would the cable do that ?

thanks

Ladynimue

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    Remember when I spoke about intermittent electronics problems and how hard they are to isolate....... Well Debe has had personal experiences with cabling problems causing many different unusual problems to occur. I would trust Her intuition on this one and make sure you purchase another IDE cable to replace the one that is suspect. The cost of another is minimal and certainly worth the try.

Dave

14. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    I will get new cable when I get CDRW back but would it just suddenly go wrong after being in use since sept and working if not correctly, not causing any crashes. The cable used to fit CDRW was already in computer and not one I puchased with CDRW .Why ,when CDWR was fitted did it show up as a fault on memory test which was not there when I removed it?

Ladynimue

15. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    I seem to have sent reply to wrong post, must be tired, have cut it to put here
    Hi
    I will get new cable when I get CDRW back but would it just suddenly go wrong after being in use since sept and working if not correctly, not causing any crashes. The cable used to fit CDRW was already in computer and not one I puchased with CDRW .Why ,when CDWR was fitted did it show up as a fault on memory test which was not there when I removed it?

Ladynimue

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice