1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Help needed formating hdd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xgerryx, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

I have reinstalled xp on a 20 gig HD now there is 13.3 gb of used space & 5.71 gb of free space. Any help appreciated. Gerry

2. Tushman

Tushman Banned

What is your question exactly? Are you trying to reformat and do a clean install of your XP? If so, make sure you have all your device drivers ready and the setup CD.

Reformatting your HDD will wipe off all your data so make a backup of your files before you proceed.

When you boot up w/ your XP CD it will give you the option to format the HDD. If you cannot boot up to your CD make the 6 boot up diskettes first.

3. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Hello Tushman
    My problem is that after reinstalling xp there is still a lot of old information left from previous installations re 13 gs of used space and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I do not have a lot of experience doing this but can follow instructions easily and am online with a second computer

4. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Xgerry, like i said, when you reformat the HDD, you are essentially wiping it clean and starting from scratch. So based on what you're saying it seems unlikely you did a clean format.

Here's one webstie you can read:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/honeycutt/02october07.asp

or here:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/print/0,23102,2102233,00.html

or here (with pretty pics included):

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

And let me stress again - DO BACKUP all your personal files before you proceed!

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy xgerryx...

So if I'm understanding right you are wanting to wipe out the hard drive, and do a fresh install ?

If so when you get to the point in the install where it asks you what partition to install to, highlight the partition and press ( I think it is d for Delete ) and delete the partition, next there will be a screen for conformation ( I think it is L to confirm ), then on the next screen highlight the un partitioned space, then C for create, then create what ever size you want, then continue on with the install, it will format from there...

6. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

That seems to be the problem, I can't delete the old partition.

I have saved all info that I want to keep to cds so that is not a concern.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Can't delete it ???

Is it giving you an error ?

Also we may have to get drastic here, post the manofacture of the harddrive...

Also have you tried booting to a W98 boot disk and using fdisk to delete the partition ?

8. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

When I get to this part of the setup (see top half of attached image) and click on "delete the
    selected partition" I get the unable to perform notice (see bottom half of attachment)

Hard drive is made by microstar.

I would be quite happy to have a go at Fdisk. I have it on a floppy but do not know how to use it

Attached Files:

9. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Bottom half of previous attachment

Attached Files:

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

He...he..he. you have just shown me a new XP error, I have never seen before ( and probably not the last )...

Ok let's try this, boot with the W98 floppy @ the A:\> type in fdisk, yes to the next screen, choose Delete NON DOS partition, then boot with the XP cd and see if it will create the new partition...

11. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Whoops, I dont have a w98 floppy, Can I download it from somewhere

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Sure...

Bootdisk, when you download the flie, DON'T copy it to floppy, double click on the downloaded file and let it create the floppy ( BTW download the W98 OEM floppy )...

13. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Warning, I am good at stupid questions,

how do I boot with the 98 floppy

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Warning...no such thing....:D

Just put the floppy in the floppy drive, and in the BIOS make sure that the floppy is the first boot device ( you may not have to worry with the BIOS, in most cases the floppy it the first boot device, by default unless it is changed )...

15. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Ok after restarting I and following procedure I am at a page titled
    "fdisk Options"
    Choose one of the following

1: Create Dos partition or logical dos drive
    2: Set active partition
    3: Delete partition or logical dos drive
    4: Display partition information

Enter choice?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice