1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] HELP!!! problems accessing certain sites.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BigDaveinNJ, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

The last few days... on one of my PCs using dial-up (NetZero PLATINUM) I am not able to acess certain sites... but am able to access others.

For instance, if I try to access GOOGLE, YAHOO, WEB-ATTACK or even THIS forum... I get the following ERROR message.

res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm#http://www.google.com/

in that instance, it was for GOOGLE. I have another PC hooked up to cable... and the sites are up and running so I know it is not site related.

Then .... I click on the option of DETECT NETWORK SETTINGS... and NOTHING happens.

Now.... this error message only happens on some sites (maybe 30%) or so... but these are sites I frequent, while all of the others work just fine.

I am using IE6 and Win 98se, and have for a few years now and have had NONE of these troubles.

Any suggestions? Why is it happening to some sites, and not others considering I have done nothing browser related on my PC in a few years?

Any help, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

DAVID

2. mtbird

mtbird

Hi Dave....
    I would say that this is just a problem with NetZero. It's probably a matter of a slow dialup connection and a busy time frame on a busy site. It is timing out before it can load and will result in the message that you see.

Debe

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi BigDaveinNJ

I agree with Debe

I have 2 computers - a 300Mhz win 98 (nearly 5 yrs old) and a 2G WinXP (6months old)

What you describe happens to me sometimes

It happens the same on both computers (therefore the fault is not on the computers)

It has to be the only thing common to both computers - ISP or telephone line

steam

4. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks guys... for your help. Unfortunatly, I do not believe that's what is happening. GOOGLE has always loaded very fast, even on any dial-up I am using. And My YAHOO has been my homepage for years, and has been problem free. Even this forum, although at times was very slow.... has always worked.

These faulty page loads, as I will refer to them as, have only been occuring the last few days. It's like the page doesn't even begin to load in the traditional way..... it's really strange.

I will keep searching... and again, thanks for your imput.

DAVID :)

5. mtbird

mtbird

Dave...
    That's very odd indeed, since it's limited to only certain sites. One thing you could try is cleaning out your temp. internet, history, cookies, and temp files.
    It's a shot in the dark, but worth a try. When deleting cookies, you will have to log back in to any sites that require a password/username.

Debe

6. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks Debe..... took your suggestion of cleaning out the suggested areas of the PC... and the same is still happening.

It really puzzles me because as I said before.... most of the sites work fine except for several of my best ones (GOOGLE, YAHOO, HELP on the NET etc...)

I even uninstalled my POP-UP stopper.... and nothing yet has helped. I have friends that use NETZERO platinum and they can access these sites just fine.

NETZERO offers tech support @ a cost by phone but usually the techs that work for the ISP have been of very little help... at least in the past when it comes to me.

Has ANYONE here ever heard of this kind of problem where you can go to certain sites just fine and other sites you can't?

Just for the record. When I click on my links to these sites it will show up on the address bar.... pause a second.... and then get that error message. It's almost like these sites are on some kind of "black-list" to be blocked by a pop-up killer of some sort but I have gotten rid of that... and.... when I have used them in the past I just set it up to work very simply.... and have never tried any type blacklist or anything.

Any help or opinions, would be appreciated!

Thank you :)

DAVID

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

If you post your startup list we may be able to spot something

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.51 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Download to any folder or your desktop
    Unzip the zipfile
    Double click the exe file
    go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

steam

8. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks Steam.... for your suggestion. I will do that this weekend, and then post back to the newsgroup.

It's too bad there wasn't a way to go thru some type of secondary server or some kind of site where you can access another site.... just to see if I could even access those sites at all from that pc ....... but now I am rambling and it's getting late..... lol

Thanks again

9. yul

yul

go to start->run->type regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll ->click ok

it will re-register that dll

restart computer

10. BigDaveinNJ

OK.... Yul..... thanks... I will try your suggestion the next time I am at that PC.

11. BigDaveinNJ

OK.... I finally managed to get in here. BTW... registering that DLL as suggested did not do the trick.

I am here after I installed OPERA. I could not get into the 4 sites (GOOGLE-MY YAHOO-TECH SUPPORT GUY and WEB-ATTACK) using IE 6.... no matter what I tried. Clicking on the link, NO LUCK, typing in the address manually... NO LUCK EITHER. Even if I ran a search at another search engine and tried to click on the link I would continually get the error message just the same.

So... I don't know what this tells you guys... if anything. I have no problems getting to these sites using OPERA. Problem is.... I don't particularly care for OPERA.... and would definitly prefer IE.

Thanks... and will be awaiting any suggestions.

12. BigDaveinNJ

OK... after playing around with this thing most of the night, I went somewhere, not exactly sure where but I chose an option to REPAIR INTERNET EXPLORER .... and that did the trick. All of the previously unable to view sites are all back. :)

Thanks for all of your help!

DAVID

13. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi BigDaveinNJ

Glad you got it working :) and thanks for letting us know

Control panel - add\remove programs - microsoft internet explorer - repair option ( we should have suggested that ) :D

once you found out it worked with Opera - that would have been the next obvious step

steam

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice