1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Help!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by IgneousPrime, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

I recently got a trojan virus and deleted it. It was a trojan that when you clicked on it,it wouldn't start up. But the user that sent it to me could see everything I did. But I deleted it and followed the directions of removal. But one thing went wrong. When I tried to delete a folder called "ShellData" in my System 32 folder,it said that it couldn't delete a file because the path was not right or specified. How am I supposed to remove it then? Help! Thanks in advance.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you still have the DOS Shell thing installed? If so, Right Click on the System32 folder and select DOS Shell.

at the prompt enter

rd /s shelld~1

3. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

Works! :D. Thanks a bunch! Now I have that stupid folder gone...poof. Thanks again!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome. You just have to be carefull how you use that method, making sure there is nothing worth saving in the folder being deleted.

For the record, when entering file or folder names in DOS, you must use the short name version. This is done by using the first 6 characters, then a ~1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice