1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Hi im new and have completely messed up my pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KateB, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KateB

KateB Thread Starter

I wanted to stop some programes running in start up as they made my computer run a bit slow. I made the mistake of disabling about 6 things in the start up section of configuration settings. I enabled them back again but it doesnt seem to have worked. My pc now cant detect the modem, soundcard, the device manager is empty and the network connections is empty. I want to format and start a fresh but on xp theres no 'restart in ms- dos mode. It wont let me format even in the command box. When i click 'y' proceed with format it says it cant and mentions 'volume' and 'do u want to force a dismount' i put 'y' again but still it didnt work. Also it wont let me format by right clicking on 'c; drive' icon.

Any advice - much appreciated.

2. mcse72

mcse72

To format and reinstall XP just boot from the XP CD (you might need to go into the BIOS in case yours is set up to boot to your hard drive first) When you see "press any key to boot from CD" it gives you about 5 seconds, hit any key and follow the instructions from then on. The instructions are pretty easy to follow from there.

3. $teve

$teve

welcome to T.S.G kate.

you cant actually format windows from inside itself.
    but windows xp is bootable from the cd.
    can you set the cd rom as your 1st boot device? then re-boot with the xp cd in the drive.
    at the 1sy blue screen select the option to "repair".....at the 2nd blue screen select "install"....you will be guided through formatting and re-installing windows.
    if your not sure of anything please ask.;)

4. KateB

KateB Thread Starter

Thanku for your replies. Ive managed to reinstall Windows XP over the previous one and the desktop display looks back to normal again. I still have a problem with sound and the modem. I keep getting an error message - 'cannot play audio, hardware is not responding'. The 'sound and audio device properties box' says there's no playback or recording devices. I've tried getting back to my freeserve connection with password, username and dial up no. but that now says 'invalid password'. My modem drivers disk which has never been used is damaged according to the pc. A friend suggested i select 'reset optimised defaults' in 'bios' but how do you get to 'bios' on Windows XP?. With the computers at college you just hit 'del' on start up but nothing happens with mine. It just goes straight to the welcome screen.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure whether you can do this after a reinstall, particularly given the problems that led to it -- but you might try using the "driver rollback" option for the installed devices in the Device Manager's properties > drivers page for each problem device. Also try "update driver" and see what Windows detects as options for installing.

As for the BIOS, the first screen you see on bootup should tell you what key to press to enter "setup".

6. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, Have you tried turning your hard ware on before you start the PC.

If you modem is not recognized, normally if you turn it on first, XP should come up with new hardware installed and there will be a series of drivers you can pick from.

I don't know whether taking out your sound card and reseating it would help as I have never delved in the box. Peace Mal

7. KateB

KateB Thread Starter

I managed to find 'Bios' in the end by pressing f1 on start up. In the advanced section uder peripheral configuration i noticed 'audio device' was disabled so i enabled it. Now when i play sound there's no error message like before but still nothing comes out the speakers. The modem seems fine now and i've managed to get back online which is a big help. I know my computer has a 'soundmax' chip on the motherboard and a 'dmx 6fire' soundcard. Today i installed both cd's that go with these. When i try to open the 'dmx 6fire' program it says 'could not initialise the dmx 6fire 24/96 hardware. Is the driver working properly?'
    Ive also loaded set up defaults in bios and still no sound.

8. mcse72

mcse72

Try checking the sound and audio device properties box 'volume' tab and make sure the mute option is not checked. Also, on the 'audio' tab check to see if your sound card is listed under default playback device. If everything looks fine, try going to 'system' in the control panel and clicking the 'hardware' tab then choose device manager. Is there an exclamation point or a red 'X' next to your sound card? If so double click it and see what the message says under device status.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If all the properties that mcsce72 mentions appear ok and the sound is not muted, take a pair of headphones and plug them into the line out jack for the speakers and see if you get any direct output.

10. KateB

KateB Thread Starter

Its all fixed now. Thanku for all the help. It turned out that the sound actually had been repaired once i changed the 'audio-disable' to 'enable' in bios. I must have plugged the speakers in the wrong socket coz now ive put them in a different one higher up all the sounds are working fine.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice