1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Hijacked Homepage Win ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kilowatt1, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kilowatt1

kilowatt1 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I am working on a machine running ME that has had the Home Page in IE highjacked. My problem is this. In order to correct the situation I need to get into the "control panel" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/policies/microsoft/internet explorer/control panel (This is the settings in Win98). However in ME, Control Panel is not listed under this thread. Can anyone tell me where in the registry it might be located or has it been changed to something else in ME? For your info, the repair involes changing the "value" under homepage from (0x00000001) (1) to the default of (00000000) (0)., rebooting,changing the homepage in IE options, rebooting and setting the "value" back to (1) in the registry to lock in the correct address. This repair works for Win98, so I hope it will work in ME. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1 Thread Starter

:cool: Thanks RR,

I thought I had seen that thread somewhere before. I will try the options listed that I haven't tried thus far. This particular highjacking is somewhat strange in that it apparently has two different sites associated with it: A site called wanbbs.com and seekmm6to23.com. I was successfull in stopping wanbbs from auto loading, however, it now reverts to the seekmm site automatically. Strange. Some how there has been a command added to prevent the removal of these settings in the registry. It could quite possibly be the sp.dll, .hta, or even the ce.exe files.
    Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know the outcome.

I edited to remove the actual web sites as it is not advisable to visit them unless you want the same problems.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1 Thread Starter

:D Just a followup. Mission Accomplished!! Found registry entries for all three, sp.dll, .hta, and ce.exe. Removed them, reset home page and all is good. Thanks again, RR.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome -- good to hear, and thanks for the follow-up :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice