1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Hijackthis & MSVBVM60.DLL Missing

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by takatomon, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

i just relaoded win98 on my pc and am trying to restore all of my old programs. i've hit a snag with hijackthis. i can't get either it or the required MSVBVM60.DLL to work.

i've downloaded each program half a dozen times from half a dozen places including one DLL download in some funky german looking language to no avail. i keep saving them in windows/system and unzipping them, but i can't get them working.

the very first time i downloaded the DLL, camunzip said that there was garbage at the end of the file. since then, things haven't improved any. there are several copies of each program in my recycle bin. how do i get hijackthis to work again?

i don't remember having so much trouble the first time i loaded it.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
  3. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

it would help if i knew how to create a directory. the instructions are written in hacker chinese. i've never created a directory, so i guess i won't be fixing this DLL issue today.

when somebody explains this new procedure, then i'll be able to download the file. why is this the first program that i've ever tried to download that requires a directory? any other program has been download > ok, or download to #### folder > ok. this one wants a directory.

hijack this should include that DLL as it isn't part of windows and it's the only program that i've ever downloaded that needed it. i found an old notepad document that showed that i had downloaded it before with w95 too the 1st time i downloaded hijack this.

i need directions for creating a directory please.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Forget the directory words, a directory is another name for a folder. Right click on your Desktop and select New>Folder. Now name the folder VB. Then when you download it, at the top of the download box, select to save it to the folder VB on your Desktop. Then once it's downloaded, open the VB folder on your Desktop and just double left click on the downloaded file to execute it.

Then try Hijackthis and let us know what happens

5. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

thanks bryan. i might have had trouble before as i was saving the dll file directly in windows >programs and unzipping it there. i'll copy your directions and try again. thanks. :)

i'm trying to keep ahead of the gremlins as much as possible this time. before i shredded my C:\ drive, hijackthis detected a bunch of "renamed program" viruses that avg missed. i want to get a log asap so that i can notice any changes right away this time.

6. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

darn it! it didn't "auto install" like you said it would. i also couldn't find the windows>program folder anymore to save it in.

i hate this hacker crap.

the file asked for a place to save it, and i don't know where it belongs. it isn't the program that i needed either. i need DLL not vbrun whatever.

there should be a program in windows, or programs themselves that makes them install in the right place automatically. another day goes by without getting hijackthis up and running. *sigh*

i went back and reread microsoft's directions which said "save the program to it's own folder" which i just tried, and that didn't work either. hijack this still can't find the dll.

FIXED

ok... i finally got it working. :) after the first try, i found that clicking on the first folder created a second folder that needed to be clicked, but i got error messages as i was rebooting, so i went back and shredded every vbrun and msvbm file that i could find and tried reloading the file you mentioned. apparently one of the original files was the problem. (probably the first one with "garbage at the end of the file")

once i started with a clean slate. i managed to get hijackthis up and ruunning.

thanks again for helping me get it right.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your welcome, if you want help reading the log, I'd suggest posting a new thread in the Security forum.

8. takatomon

takatomon Thread Starter

reading logs isn't a problem. i have copied and pasted a "decode hijack this log" list from WAY back that tells me 90% of what i need to know without asking and can find the other 10% usually using websites that tell what every program that hijack this is.

i was only having problems getting it back up and running after totally shredding and reloading from scratch everything on my c drive.

once hijackthis is running... i can pretty much use it properly with the help of my "cheat sheet" and websites that describe unkown programs by name that hijack this finds. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice